Unfair University Withdrawal?

Watch
samrob54321
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hi. At my university, there was a deadline to withdraw before the 10th of October in order to avoid fees. I had a nightmare just figuring out how to withdraw and went through several departments, but finally, I filled in a form and sent it to the people who handle withdrawals on the 4th. Today (the day after the deadline) I finally get a response (after being ignored by the team) asking if I want them to process my withdrawal, despite making it clear that I did in prior emails. It seems they are now going to charge me for 25% of the term despite the time they take to process being completely out of my control.
random_matt
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Be persistent, you sent in on the 4th, I am assuming you have an email confirmation of this?
PhoenixFortune
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by samrob54321)
Hi. At my university, there was a deadline to withdraw before the 10th of October in order to avoid fees. I had a nightmare just figuring out how to withdraw and went through several departments, but finally, I filled in a form and sent it to the people who handle withdrawals on the 4th. Today (the day after the deadline) I finally get a response (after being ignored by the team) asking if I want them to process my withdrawal, despite making it clear that I did in prior emails. It seems they are now going to charge me for 25% of the term despite the time they take to process being completely out of my control.
Respond to the email in the affirmative, whilst also stating that you emailed your intention to withdraw on 4th, before the deadline. Hopefully you have kept the email you sent with the date clear. It might be worth double-checking the student regulations to ensure that you have interpreted them correctly. If you have, and they start asking for fees, then contact your student union.
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by samrob54321)
Hi there

If you have emails clearly stating you wish to withdraw then i would appeal this decision. From the information you provided, it sounds like you are in the right. I would speak to the relevant people to resolve this situation, potentially speak to a union rep about this too if you are not getting anywhere with the university. Make sure to keep all your evidence.

Good luck with this

Andrew
Student Rep
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (193)
55.46%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (49)
14.08%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (39)
11.21%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (32)
9.2%
I haven't started researching yet (20)
5.75%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (15)
4.31%

Watched Threads