The Student Room Group

best way to invest money?

so i've turned 18 and i have a few thousands that are sitting in my savings account and i want to invest them into something. what is the least riskiest thing to invest it in? i can afford to lose this money but obviously i don't want to.

i've heard about crypto, stocks, forex trading etc, what is the best option. i obviously need to do more research on them but i want to hear others opinion
Your safest bet would be to get one of those extreme savings accounts where you can only take out money once a year but you get a high interest on it.

Original post by Anonymous
so i've turned 18 and i have a few thousands that are sitting in my savings account and i want to invest them into something. what is the least riskiest thing to invest it in? i can afford to lose this money but obviously i don't want to.

i've heard about crypto, stocks, forex trading etc, what is the best option. i obviously need to do more research on them but i want to hear others opinion
Reply 2
ETF's are good investments if you want at least a little growth. If you have absolutely no appetite for risk you can always invest in gold, government debt ( i assume thats available in the UK?) or something like that.

crypto, stocks, commodities are good options (crypto riskiest, commodities safest out of those 3), for stocks just diversify and use various different ETFs with different risk levels.
the "safest" option as another poster pointed out would be a savings account with a locking period, but these rates are so incredibly low (lower than inflation) that they just arent worth your time imo
(edited 2 years ago)
Trading forex is good providing you have done your research and gained the knowledge to no what your doing
Low risk index funds and ETFs by some distance in my opinion.
Just do what the rest of us do and buy some bitcoin, stick it on a USB stick, and bury the USB stick in the garden.

Like burying gold, but the modern approach.

That way, next time a solar flare hits, your bitcoin will be safe underground while everyone else has their bitcoin frazzled by radiation and EM fields. Just whip out that USB and use your bitcoin to buy stuff! (let's ignore the loss of the internet)

What about real estates? you can sell or let them! of course you need a great sum of money to invest.
Reply 8
which app do you use to buy crypto and why?

Original post by Callicious
Just do what the rest of us do and buy some bitcoin, stick it on a USB stick, and bury the USB stick in the garden.

That way, next time a solar flare hits, your bitcoin will be safe underground while everyone else has their bitcoin frazzled by radiation and EM fields. Just whip out that USB and use your bitcoin to buy stuff! (let's ignore the loss of the internet)
Original post by Callicious

Original post by Shah99

Of all the posts you could have replied to about Bitcoin, that was 100% definitely the best one.
Original post by Shah99

I buy my Bitcoin through a proxy, like any sane human should. There's this old codger down the road running Windows 98 on his toaster who used to mine it with aforementioned toaster- he sells me bitcoin for a few tuppence a piece, or did back in the day before he got electrocuted by his toaster.

Don't buy it online- if you buy it online, people like Elon Musk will know where you live, and try to enslave your kids in the lithium mines.

Original post by Admit-One
Of all the posts you could have replied to about Bitcoin, that was 100% definitely the best one.

They made a good pick, if I do say so myself! :colone:
(edited 2 years ago)

I'm sure you should try to invest in crypto, stocks, forex trading etc but only the sum you don't afraid to lose
Reply 12
From my experience open up an ISA account with a financial broker I recommend fidelity or vanguard and then invest your money into ETFs like the S&P 500 but not all your money around 90% is reasonable then the 10% into handpicked stocks and crypto just to explore the world of risky investments which can lead to great wins or great losses however it is just 10% of your capital.

But please don't use your money to trade Forex unless you can afford to lose it you it and it's not even an Investment. And don't buy courses especially from ads you see from YouTube they are all scammers, if they seem legit check the course ratings.
Maybe open a pamm account
Reply 14
Original post by reecerispoli1
Maybe open a pamm account

Absolutely not.

Quick Reply