The Student Room Group

Form responsibility

I’m form sharing but the other tutor kind of isn’t there in the morning when I greet the kids. But then comes in about 5 Mins before the end of form time?

Is that normal, I figured If we share the form the responsibility is then shared but I feel I’ve been dumped with them and no sharing a going on should I mention it in my mentor meeting?
(edited 2 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I work with another teacher on a form but I basically do form time daily and it’s because they’re a naff form and I don’t think they want to be round them. So basically I do it.

Is it meant to be like this? Or should I let my mentor know?
Original post by Jammydodger39
I work with another teacher on a form but I basically do form time daily and it’s because they’re a naff form and I don’t think they want to be round them. So basically I do it.

Is it meant to be like this? Or should I let my mentor know?

If you share form duties, I would start by talking to the other teacher and trying to sort out a plan of who does what in form.
I’m form sharing but the other tutor kind of isn’t there in the morning when I greet the kids. But then comes in about 5 Mins before the end of form time?

Is that normal, I figured If we share the form the responsibility is then shared but I feel I’ve been dumped with them and no sharing a going on should I mention it in my mentor meeting?

Usually form responsibility is done with part timers, so those working certain days will take form time on those days.
Are you both full time?
Original post by 04MR17
Usually form responsibility is done with part timers, so those working certain days will take form time on those days.
Are you both full time?

Yep both full time
Yep both full time

That's really weird. Is one of you a HoD or extra TLRs or something?
Hi

I've merged your threads. Please don't start 2 on the same topic in such quick succession.

I'd raise this with your pastoral line manager (e.g. HoD)- ask how they expect form time to be shared. If they will back you, I would email the partner teacher and say you can't attend form on Monday for XYZ reason and see what happens.

Personally, I'd do allocated days, so you get an even split.

That said, if you think the kids are a "naff" form, they will pick up on this and it will impact your relationships with them.
Reply 7

That's a bit naughty really. The other person has legal responsibility for the form, not you and should be present, even if you are leading all the activities.
Original post by hotpud
That's a bit naughty really. The other person has legal responsibility for the form, not you and should be present, even if you are leading all the activities.

“Legal responsibility”? Jammydodger is a qualified teacher (I think?) so the responsibility is shared. They just need to discuss and arrange the split between them. If Jammy hasn’t communicated her concerns to the other teacher, they may well be operating under the assumption that Jammy prefers the current arrangement.
Reply 9
Original post by ThursdaysChild22
“Legal responsibility”? Jammydodger is a qualified teacher (I think?) so the responsibility is shared. They just need to discuss and arrange the split between them. If Jammy hasn’t communicated her concerns to the other teacher, they may well be operating under the assumption that Jammy prefers the current arrangement.

Oh ok - sorry I thought it was a trainee job. As for splitting - sure. That would make sense. One person does a couple of days and the other the rest and then visa versa.
Original post by hotpud
Oh ok - sorry I thought it was a trainee job. As for splitting - sure. That would make sense. One person does a couple of days and the other the rest and then visa versa.

Sadly no split they go to the canteen and have a coffe while I do form🙃

Have you spoken to the other teacher to try to clearly arrange who does what?
Reply 12

So you need to do one of the following:
a) Prepare for a difficult conversation
b) Tell someone higher up that this is the situation

This is not on.
Original post by hotpud
So you need to do one of the following:
a) Prepare for a difficult conversation
b) Tell someone higher up that this is the situation

This is not on.

Tbh I might just have the difficult convo because tbh I can’t be asked to do it daily and have them offer once or twice per 2 weeks it’s stupid. They literally always have an excuse aswell and later I’ll hear they’re in the canteen. I get it you want to eat but don’t dump me in on it because I’m an nqt. Literally everytime I see them it’s just either “gotta go they’re yours” or “just going to grab a bite” like hello
No you’re not these lot aren’t my responsibility daily. I know I should just suck it up but if they were solely my form I wouldn’t care about sharing but seeing as they’re not the split needs to be even and it’s not. I know it’s a case of they just find it a ba**ache and think the nqt can handle it
Have you actually had a normal conversation with this person about how you would like the split to be arranged? How do you want the split to be arranged? Alternate weeks? Alternate days? Have you decided? And why haven’t you already passed this issue along to your line manager? You can probably get this sorted fairly easily (and without a difficult conversation) if you communicate the issue.
Yeah Thursday we agreed on week one which days we’d do and it never happens. It’s literally “okay so I’m heading off I’ll be back in 20m” I’m quite an honest person but this person who I’m splitting with makes me feel scared to say anything due to their positioning in school so I don’t wanna argue
So send an email clarifying the original agreement and don’t turn up on the days that aren’t yours. Don’t be around. Make yourself busy elsewhere. If you’re turning up on days that aren’t yours, they’re obviously going to think it’s fine to leave the form group with you as it doesn’t need two staff.
Reply 17
I know I should just suck it up but if they were solely my form I wouldn’t care about sharing but seeing as they’re not the split needs to be even and it’s not. I know it’s a case of they just find it a ba**ache and think the nqt can handle it

No you shouldn't suck it up. They are not meeting their professional standards. They need putting in line or go and work in McDonalds. The people losing out here are your students who are fortunate enough to have been assigned two teachers. Your peer is not doing their job. I would report upwards personally and if nothing comes of it, that sends a very clear signal to you as to the sort of school you work at. You couldn't get away with that in my school.
Original post by hotpud
No you shouldn't suck it up. They are not meeting their professional standards. They need putting in line or go and work in McDonalds. The people losing out here are your students who are fortunate enough to have been assigned two teachers. Your peer is not doing their job. I would report upwards personally and if nothing comes of it, that sends a very clear signal to you as to the sort of school you work at. You couldn't get away with that in my school.

It’s a relaxed school in that way I’ve noticed behaviour is an issue and has become more difficult as times gone on but I’m just getting more used to it. Other more experienced teachers have struggled.

But back to the point, they did it again. No reason this time just “see you later” I get that the tension probs isn’t worth it but I cba to keep doing every day because if that’s the case I’ll take the form as my own. Even the kids said why are they never here it’s only you now days was never like this before.

I feel I’m having the p*as taken out of me even when we explicitly said I’d do 2 days one week 3 the next and we’d keep the rotation weekly. I’m raising it at my mentor meeting aswell
But have you communicated this with them since? If you haven't, you can't expect them to change. Forward the emails from the first week to them and 'remind' them of the agreement. If you haven't raised it with them since, they're not going to change.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending