The Student Room Group

Are You Still Protected In Sex If You Get A Breakthrough Bleed Before Your Pill Break

Not sure if anyone knows the answer to this one or not, but I’ve been taking the Yasmin Pill for a few years (21 days taking the pill followed by a 7 day break where you get a withdrawal bleed), however I recently took two packs in a row without a 7 day break because I didn’t want a withdrawal bleed (my doctor said this was ok to do occasionally), and I think I’ve messed up my cycle a bit because I started having a breakthrough bleed/spotting just before my 7 day break after taking the two packs.. my question is, am I still protected in sex in this 7 day break, even though I started bleeding before my pack ended?

Hope this kind of makes sense, just want to be doubly sure.. don’t wanna be getting preggers.
Original post by Anonymous
Not sure if anyone knows the answer to this one or not, but I’ve been taking the Yasmin Pill for a few years (21 days taking the pill followed by a 7 day break where you get a withdrawal bleed), however I recently took two packs in a row without a 7 day break because I didn’t want a withdrawal bleed (my doctor said this was ok to do occasionally), and I think I’ve messed up my cycle a bit because I started having a breakthrough bleed/spotting just before my 7 day break after taking the two packs.. my question is, am I still protected in sex in this 7 day break, even though I started bleeding before my pack ended?

Hope this kind of makes sense, just want to be doubly sure.. don’t wanna be getting preggers.

You should be fine providing you been following the instructions as per GP instructions taking the pill.
Don't forget there's only a 1% chance of getting pregnant with the pill as make sure you not on your break week when your ovalution date is upon you as that's where the risk is as if you happen to be on your break week then use alternative protection.
A registered midwife,

Can you get pregnant on your week off the pill.......
As long as you've been taking your pill every day and starting your pill packs on time, you're protected from pregnancy even during that off week

Are you still protected if you have breakthrough bleeding on the pill..........
If you wear your patches or ring for all three prescribed weeks, or take all 21 active pills in the packet, you'll still be protected from unwanted pregnancy during your break week. So it's still safe to have sex during withdrawal bleeding, as long as you've taken your hormonal birth control as prescribed

How do I know if I'm pregnant on the pill.........
Women who get pregnant while using birth control may notice the following signs and symptoms: a missed period. implantation spotting or bleeding. tenderness or other changes in the breasts

Quick Reply

Latest