The Student Room Group

can I go to Russel group uni with grade 4 English language.

Hey guys

so right now I am deciding what uni I should go to. I am deciding now so I can now know how hard I need to work. Hopefully I will get B+ in all 3 of my a levels. I got 8 GCSEs between 6-8 but english language is the odd one out. I got a 4. Just want to know if I can go to russell group uni with this grade. Unfortunately I cant retake as I have passed but isn't a strong pass. I could potentially get AAA but will I even be given a conditional offer if I only got a 4 in English language. BTW I got a 6 in English literature just FYI.
Original post by peteryoungy
Hey guys

so right now I am deciding what uni I should go to. I am deciding now so I can now know how hard I need to work. Hopefully I will get B+ in all 3 of my a levels. I got 8 GCSEs between 6-8 but english language is the odd one out. I got a 4. Just want to know if I can go to russell group uni with this grade. Unfortunately I cant retake as I have passed but isn't a strong pass. I could potentially get AAA but will I even be given a conditional offer if I only got a 4 in English language. BTW I got a 6 in English literature just FYI.

It will depend on the university and course. For many courses a grade 4 will be enough. For others it wont. Check the entry requirements for the course and university. This will tell you what you need. Most RG courses will reuire higher A levels than BBB.
Yes, but it might limit your choices. Unis either set their English requirements at a course or university wide level. So you may need to check both, (especially if there’s nothing stated on the course page).

NB. There’s plenty of great unis outside of the RG. Don’t use it as a shortlist for undergrad options.
Original post by peteryoungy
Hey guys

Sometimes if you meet the entry requirements or was slightly above it they will consider knocking the GCSE entry requirements down by one and make an exception. Make sure ur personal statement is amazing tho so they can consider you as it is competitive.
What subject are you hoping to apply for?
Original post by AbrahamP
Sometimes if you meet the entry requirements or was slightly above it they will consider knocking the GCSE entry requirements down by one and make an exception. Make sure ur personal statement is amazing tho so they can consider you as it is competitive.

Not true. If you dont meet a GCSE requirement it is a rejection in most universities. They are there as evidence of the skils required for a course.
Original post by swanseajack1
Not true. If you dont meet a GCSE requirement it is a rejection in most universities. They are there as evidence of the skils required for a course.

Varies from case to case. If you have a grade or 2 higher than entry requirements they’ll defo overlook it and drop the gcse grade down since you’re doing the subject at a higher level

best thing op can do is contact the uni to see if they can drop the gcse grade or go through clearing where they’ll defo be more lenient
Reply 7
You can retake Engish GCSE and should consider doing so if your choice of degree would require a higher grade.
Varies from case to case. If you have a grade or 2 higher than entry requirements they’ll defo overlook it and drop the gcse grade down since you’re doing the subject at a higher level

best thing op can do is contact the uni to see if they can drop the gcse grade or go through clearing where they’ll defo be more lenient

They do NOT overlook GCSE requirements and it isnt on a case by case basis. Stop giving out false information. A university sets GCSE requirements because they are the necessary levels of basic skills required to complete a course. You could have 20 A*s but if you fail to meet the GCSE requirements you will get rejected.

Neither of these things are true. Unless you’re talking about the student taking Eng at a-level which is unlikely with a 4 at GCSE.

Are there a handful of cases each year where people squeak in just below the English requirements? Yes, by accident or design. My own Uni will sometimes take Eng Lit into account if they are otherwise a strong candidate. But saying “definitely” is potentially very misleading.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending