The Student Room Group

Should I do an EPQ alongside my As level?

In the first year of A level and I am doing Maths, Physics, Engineering and Drama. My As Level is Drama

We have a compulsory 'enrichment' activity we have to do, which included EPQ, Online Courses, unpaid work studies etc. I am currently doing United Nations which is once a week after school. I've been given the option to do EPQ but I will need to change physics classes so it adjusts to my time table, which I don't mind as long as it is beneficial in the long term.

The question is, am I putting too much work load on myself? Not really feeling much stress even though I have a few tests next week but I do understand it'll progressively ramp up in difficulty as it goes on. I want to get into a university somewhere in London, not sure which one exactly as I don't have a clear career path in mind.

Any advice? Thanks.
Original post by DrThots
In the first year of A level and I am doing Maths, Physics, Engineering and Drama. My As Level is Drama

We have a compulsory 'enrichment' activity we have to do, which included EPQ, Online Courses, unpaid work studies etc. I am currently doing United Nations which is once a week after school. I've been given the option to do EPQ but I will need to change physics classes so it adjusts to my time table, which I don't mind as long as it is beneficial in the long term.

The question is, am I putting too much work load on myself? Not really feeling much stress even though I have a few tests next week but I do understand it'll progressively ramp up in difficulty as it goes on. I want to get into a university somewhere in London, not sure which one exactly as I don't have a clear career path in mind.

Any advice? Thanks.

This is your first year of A level and the only subject you’re doing at AS level is drama?

But either way, yes, that’s a lot of work and that’s unnecessary considering that it wouldn’t be advantageous. An EPQ has its own perks but a fourth A level doesn’t, and just adding to that could lead to more bad than good.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by 0ptics
This is your first year of A level and the only subject you’re doing at AS level is drama?

But either way, yes, that’s a lot of work and that’s unnecessary considering that it wouldn’t be advantageous. An EPQ has its own perks but a fourth A level doesn’t, and just adding to that could lead to more bad than good.

I only chose Drama As level because it was fun in GCSE and It doesn't really matter to me if I get a bad or good grade in it. My main focuses are Maths and Physics. So youre saying to not do EPQ then since I'm already doing Drama as level
As a benefit to both academic depth and supporting a UCAS application, it is definelty worth doing - https://www.bath.ac.uk/campaigns/taking-the-epq-to-strengthen-your-application/ - but only you can judge if you can do it without compromising your other grades.
Original post by DrThots
I only chose Drama As level because it was fun in GCSE and It doesn't really matter to me if I get a bad or good grade in it. My main focuses are Maths and Physics. So youre saying to not do EPQ then since I'm already doing Drama as level

No, I’m saying that there’s no real incentive to take a fourth A level as most unis only require 3 and doing 4 will just inevitably increase the workload - regardless of whether you find it fun or not. Of course, I’m not saying that you have to do an EPQ either, I’m just saying that if you do it, it will help you more in the long run
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by McGinger
As a benefit to both academic depth and supporting a UCAS application, it is definelty worth doing - https://www.bath.ac.uk/campaigns/taking-the-epq-to-strengthen-your-application/ - but only you can judge if you can do it without compromising your other grades.

I don't know how intense EPQ is, I know the general things you have to do which is research, logging down your day to day work and a 5000 word essay

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending