Advice on getting into a routine at Uni?

Watch
GKgunner13
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I have started uni 2 weeks ago and my course started last week. I haven't done any work in 4 months (since A levels) and just cant get back into the academic mindset which means I'm already behind on one of my modules. I do aerospace engineering which I know is extremely demanding and difficult but that will hopefully be fine once I get into a routine. Any advice for a fresher on how to restart the academic part of my brain and get into a routine?
random_matt
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Do work in chunks, for example, for an essay I will do a paragraph a day. If it is reading and note taking, I work for a hour and then a hour off and so on.
Chronoscope
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by GKgunner13)
I have started uni 2 weeks ago and my course started last week. I haven't done any work in 4 months (since A levels) and just cant get back into the academic mindset which means I'm already behind on one of my modules. I do aerospace engineering which I know is extremely demanding and difficult but that will hopefully be fine once I get into a routine. Any advice for a fresher on how to restart the academic part of my brain and get into a routine?
Do you have a online calendar app? Personally I use the google one as I find it the easiest to use (ik Apple and Microsoft do their own version too though).
Basically what I do as I have six modules on atm is use my uni calendar app and add every face to face /online lecture, seminar, or workshop I need to attend, plus any other random stuff like activities, meetings etc. and I add all that to my google calendar as I'm not a fan of my uni calender app.
Then you can see what time you have spare. I like to use different colours for different modules to distinguish between them all :yep:

Don't forget to add the mudane stuff like cleaning, laundry, food shopping, cooking and stuff as they can take more time than expected unfortunately.
I also use a to do list, last year i had a paper notebook for this, but this year I'm just using the notes app on my phone.
Last edited by Chronoscope; 1 week ago
CurryCurry2468
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I am kinda in the same situation as you, I started last week (doing Computer Science) and I fell behind already lolll. I was gonna make an actual routine but my timetable aint the same each week so what I have been doing is doing the work for the modules that take up the most of my time first.

So basically for all my modules (except the software engineering one) we get pre recorded on demand lecture videos and these are our first point of contact with the material for that week. The expectation is we watch 'all' those videos before our live in person/online lecture.

So for me, the modules that take up the most of my time are the logic module and the maths for computer science module. Its annoying cuz every week on the Monday the pre recorded lecture videos get released and I have my bloody maths for CS lecture the next day and today he was going on about how he expects us to watch all the on demand videos before the in person lecture.

For me what I legit have to do is dedicate Mondays to watching the on demand pre recorded videos for my maths module in prep for Tuesdays in person lecture so on Monday I have to watch the vids, process the content and take notes. On Mondays I have a programming lecture but that is chill cuz I do practice throughout the week so I stagger my programming practice so every day I spend some time to practice programming rather than doing it all in one go.

It gets hectic cuz of the maths & logic modules cuz there is sooo many videos to watch and it takes up so much of my time, so like that is why I wanted to make a routine but cuz the timetable is not the same each week and its still "subject to change" I just thought I will go with the flow and just start from the modules that take up most of my time and make my way through it.

Its annoying and luckily tho in semester 2 I have no maths or logic modules, instead its all algorithms, web programming, databases, object oriented programming and embedded systems programming so its gonna be much more practical.
University of Liverpool Student Rep
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hi there,

I'm sorry to hear that you're finding getting back into a routine quite challenging - I just wanted to re-assure you that it's the same for a lot of students returning back (including me!), so try not to be too hard on yourself.

Something that really helps me is setting early alarms on my phones for different things I want to do throughout the day, and sticking to them harshly. I often dislike myself for doing this, but it really does help me mentally get back into a University routine. As well, I like to write down what I've done in the day, because it makes me feel really productive - and that feeling spurs me on to do more!

I hope that's helpful, let me know if it does

Ana
University of Liverpool Rep.
University of Kent Reps
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hi!
I am an architecture student at the University of Kent and I can completely relate with the workload being very demanding and feeling like I am falling behind, so don't stress!

I believe having a to-do list helps a lot, so you can keep track of what you have done and what needs to be done. You can time each task so you don't end up spending more time than you should on an assignment. Also, remember to schedule some time for leisure and rest so you can recharge and have energy to do work harder if you need to.

I hope this helps you find what best works for you!

Tracy
- UKC Rep
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (193)
55.46%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (49)
14.08%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (39)
11.21%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (32)
9.2%
I haven't started researching yet (20)
5.75%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (15)
4.31%

Watched Threads