Solution To Spoilers

Watch
JDINCINERATOR
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
So many people get uptight when the stories in their anticipated TV shows, films and games get ruined because of other people spoiling the experience for them by revealing what happens. Simplest solution is get off the internet and refrain from any socializing. Perhaps t'ss a sad state of life that we feel gutted by someone ruining a story for us, like we don't have more pressing matters going on. This wouldn't happen if we're all at a pub trying to hear someone tell a story and then some guy intervenes out of nowhere drunk on Tequila Sunrise buts in and tells you their story for them. Save yourself the headache, do something more valuable with your time.

I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know.
hungrysalamander
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I like how instead of telling people to not spoil shows you're tellling people to refrain from basic human interaction instead.
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
To be honest both these comments miss this point which is that modern media has just turned into an ever escalating affair of who can jump the highest over shark and/or have the biggest twist, at the cost of actual narrative. With good stories it doesn't MATTER if you know WHAT happens because what matters is how it is presented in whatever media, in an aesthetically (I mean this in the more philosophical/literary sense) appealing way.

My favourite books, films, and videogames I re-read/watch/play over and over. It doesn't matter that I know what happens - obviously I've experienced them before so know it - it's how they make me feel and how I appreciate the form of the narrative that makes them worth revisiting over and over.

Compare e.g. the latest MCU/star wars/whatever film, game of thrones, whatever popular fiction is in vogue at the moment (I tend not read that so the most recent example I could think of is the da Vinci code) and in all cases, there is really no reason...to ever revisit them? Once you've experienced it and all the twists or explosions or whatever, that's it, you box it off neatly in your memory and there is no need or desire to experience that same specific film/whatever again - just to wait for the next one to top it. Also usually after the fact I have vague sense of "was that really worth the time I invested in it?".

The solution to the current craze about not spoiling things is to just demand better written media in the first place. Where the twist isn't what matters, but how you GET to it and how your experience it does.
Last edited by artful_lounger; 1 week ago
JDINCINERATOR
Rep:
?
(Original post by hungrysalamander)
I like how instead of telling people to not spoil shows you're tellling people to refrain from basic human interaction instead.
It's a solution at least-people don't have solutions these days so I get that it's hard to stomach when somebody comes up with one.
JDINCINERATOR
Rep:
?
(Original post by artful_lounger)
To be honest both these comments miss this point which is that modern media has just turned into an ever escalating affair of who can jump the highest over shark and/or have the biggest twist, at the cost of actual narrative. With good stories it doesn't MATTER if you know WHAT happens because what matters is how it is presented in whatever media, in an aesthetically (I mean this in the more philosophical/literary sense) appealing way.

My favourite books, films, and videogames I re-read/watch/play over and over. It doesn't matter that I know what happens - obviously I've experienced them before so know it - it's how they make me feel and how I appreciate the form of the narrative that makes them worth revisiting over and over.

Compare e.g. the latest MCU/star wars/whatever film, game of thrones, whatever popular fiction is in vogue at the moment (I tend not read that so the most recent example I could think of is the da Vinci code) and in all cases, there is really no reason...to ever revisit them? Once you've experienced it and all the twists or explosions or whatever, that's it, you box it off neatly in your memory and there is no need or desire to experience that same specific film/whatever again - just to wait for the next one to top it. Also usually after the fact I have vague sense of "was that really worth the time I invested in it?".

The solution to the current craze about not spoiling things is to just demand better written media in the first place. Where the twist isn't what matters, but how you GET to it and how your experience it does.
Regardless, we're living in a culture that is sensitive to spoilers. How the narrative makes you feel is the most significant and important thing but that's not in the limelight-the negativity surrounding someone telling you the plot details is what people detest. The media screws with our minds and makes everything worse than it should be, yet we passively let them manipulate us. And fiction itself as much as we love it distracts us from the real burning issues of the day-so we can't win ultimately because we're too docile to stand against tyranny.
tinygirl96
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
no
gjd800
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by artful_lounger)

I broadly agree with this. But at the same time I do think not knowing is crucial to your first encounter with some narratives, where at best you can make a sort of semi-educated guess and part of the thrill is the ambiguity. I do get annoyed if someone ***** on that for me, it must be said.

But you are again right in a different way about jumping the highest - this applies to those that spoil. They are so keen to be seen to be on-the-pulse that they spoil other people's enjoyment. What does one gain from such behaviour? I think it is a fool's errand really, but lots of people nevertheless buy into it and absolutely have to be the first to post x y or z. It's quite sad.

As regards the OP, these threads you post lately are a bit odd. A weird sort of motivational vibe ('I'm not telling you anything you don't already know' etc) but with a weirdly defeatist, empty rhetoric ('refrain from any socializing'). You are in a fashion a TSR demotivational speaker!
artful_lounger
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by JDINCINERATOR)
Regardless, we're living in a culture that is sensitive to spoilers. How the narrative makes you feel is the most significant and important thing but that's not in the limelight-the negativity surrounding someone telling you the plot details is what people detest. The media screws with our minds and makes everything worse than it should be, yet we passively let them manipulate us. And fiction itself as much as we love it distracts us from the real burning issues of the day-so we can't win ultimately because we're too docile to stand against tyranny.
My point was that if current narratives were less focused on one-upmanship then people would feel less negatifely about spoilers - it would be annoying granted but wouldn't make it completely pointless to actually experience that media in the first place (which is the current situation oftentimes and is why people are so negative about it).
da_nolo
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
i stop watching trailers becauze of this.
IanDangerously
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
If you don’t want to see any spoilers, watch it live. If you’re not gonna make an effort to see something before everybody else does and starts talking about it, don’t complain about spoilers. Simple.
StriderHort
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
As if we have new stories
Obolinda
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
lmao i cant tell if this is a joke ?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (122)
56.22%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (25)
11.52%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (27)
12.44%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (19)
8.76%
I haven't started researching yet (11)
5.07%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (13)
5.99%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed