What’s it like transferring to accommodation midterm?

Watch
jordanlndn1
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
So I’m a second year student who’s currently in university halls due to not spending much time at my uni last year. I moved into my current accommodation about a month ago but have so far not really enjoyed it or got on with my flat which is quite small. Compared to other halls, my accommodation is known to be less sociable which has made it hard to make friends and meet new people, but at the same time has made it easy to just focus on work. I am considering transferring accommodation in a couple weeks when the transfer application opens but was wondering what it might be like moving into new accommodation mid-term with everyone already knowing each other. On top of this, I’m a second year student who’s 20 and so am wondering if people may find that quite strange as-well. Appreciate any thoughts since i’m trying to weigh up whether it’s worth doing or not.
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by jordanlndn1)
So I’m a second year student who’s currently in university halls due to not spending much time at my uni last year. I moved into my current accommodation about a month ago but have so far not really enjoyed it or got on with my flat which is quite small. Compared to other halls, my accommodation is known to be less sociable which has made it hard to make friends and meet new people, but at the same time has made it easy to just focus on work. I am considering transferring accommodation in a couple weeks when the transfer application opens but was wondering what it might be like moving into new accommodation mid-term with everyone already knowing each other. On top of this, I’m a second year student who’s 20 and so am wondering if people may find that quite strange as-well. Appreciate any thoughts since i’m trying to weigh up whether it’s worth doing or not.
Hi! jordanlndn1

In my first year, I had a similar situation. I chose to stay in my original flat.
This is my personal perception of this, but I would stay in the accommodation that you are currently in. You will appreciate how quiet your halls are when it comes to work and exam time. Usually, in more sociable halls it can be noisy at all times of the day. To make up for not having made many friends, I would join a society. Most societies would be happy to have more people join even if it's two weeks into the term. Also, you still have time to make friends on your course. I did this and ended up going to their pres, which meant I could come back to a peaceful flat and sleep well.
People who I knew that changed halls later on in the term were because they wanted somewhere quiet and really didn't get along with their flatmates, although this is rare.
I feel your age shouldn't matter, as it's only two years. I know people with who I was in halls with and they were 25.
It might be worth speaking to your halls team and asking for advice, as well as your parents. Generally, someone who knows you will be able to understand your situation.

I hope this helps!
Best wishes
Chloe - Official Student Rep
rawdoncrawley
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
i’m seriously considering changing accommodation too. my hall is kind of **** and while i do get on with my flat mates, they’re quite obviously not my sort of people. i didn’t even choose to be in my current one it wasn’t even on my preference list
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (193)
55.46%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (49)
14.08%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (39)
11.21%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (32)
9.2%
I haven't started researching yet (20)
5.75%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (15)
4.31%

Watched Threads