In the personal statement, should you mention the names of hospitals/GP surgeries?

Watch
ChrisThompson56
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
If you are applying for medicine and writing a personal statement, is it standard practice to mention the names of the hospitals and GP surgeries that you did your work experience/volunteering at? For example, should you say, "I undertook a one week work placement at XYZ GP surgery", or should you just write, "I undertook a one week work placement at my local GP surgery"?

Also, is it worth mentioning the names of specific doctors that you shadowed or departments/wards that you were in? The reason I ask is that I'm trying to cut down my PS by about 300-400 characters.

Thanks a lot.
ecolier
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by ChrisThompson56)
If you are applying for medicine and writing a personal statement, is it standard practice to mention the names of the hospitals and GP surgeries that you did your work experience/volunteering at? For example, should you say, "I undertook a one week work placement at XYZ GP surgery", or should you just write, "I undertook a one week work placement at my local GP surgery"?

Also, is it worth mentioning the names of specific doctors that you shadowed or departments/wards that you were in? The reason I ask is that I'm trying to cut down my PS by about 300-400 characters.

Thanks a lot.
No.

Remember work experience is just about what you have learnt and reflected. It's not a tick box exercise and you're not asked for proof in the PS either.
ChrisThompson56
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
(Original post by ecolier)
No.

Remember work experience is just about what you have learnt and reflected. It's not a tick box exercise and you're not asked for proof in the PS either.
Thanks for the response.

Yeah, I've tried to focus the vast majority of my PS on reflection and what I learned from my experiences. I guess the only concern I have about not mentioning any specifics (e.g. surgery names, wards, doctor's names) is that almost sounds like I could potentially be BS-ing. I suppose there will be the opportunity to delve into more details at the interview stage, though (assuming I make it that far)!
Last edited by ChrisThompson56; 5 days ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling now you've started university?

I'm loving it! (53)
14.21%
I'm enjoying it but I'm still settling in (94)
25.2%
I'm a bit unsure (66)
17.69%
I'm finding things difficult (128)
34.32%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (32)
8.58%

Watched Threads