The Student Room Group

Very behind at University

I'm not looking for sympathy or criticism, I'll keep this very simple:

So I just started doing BSc Economics at Manchester. I have never studied Economics before this. I have ADHD. I have achieved high grades before (9 A* at GCSE) with very little work.

I was doing well in the first week and on the ball, but for the second and third week I completely fell off: I've missed like 3 lectures in a row for each module and haven't been doing any work or catch up. I have no idea who can support me right now, or if there is anyone, but I would appreciate some advice from you guys on what I can do to catch up? Should I just forget about the lectures I missed and read the slides or should I watch every lecture recording (1 Hour or more each) and then do the work all in one go for each module?

Please help.

Many thanks,
F
Original post by AhmedF07

So I just started doing BSc Economics at Manchester. I have never studied Economics before this. I have ADHD. I have achieved high grades before (9 A* at GCSE) with very little work.

I was doing well in the first week and on the ball, but for the second and third week I completely fell off: I've missed like 3 lectures in a row for each module and haven't been doing any work or catch up. I have no idea who can support me right now, or if there is anyone, but I would appreciate some advice from you guys on what I can do to catch up? Should I just forget about the lectures I missed and read the slides or should I watch every lecture recording (1 Hour or more each) and then do the work all in one go for each module?

Please help.

Many thanks,
F

I’m literally in the same boat as you doing economics at Bristol and have never done economics before.

Please help.

Many thanks,
F

Contact your uni’s disability support department so you can get adjustments in place for exams.This could include extra time for coursework and exams. They’ll be able to give you specific info as to how your uni can help you.
If you have ADHD you’re also eligible to apply for DSA (disabled students allowance) for software like recording software, text to speech, speech to text etc to help you with your studies :smile:

https://www.gov.uk/disabled-students-allowance-dsa/eligibility
https://www.gov.uk/disabled-students-allowance-dsa
(edited 2 years ago)

Please help.

Many thanks,
F

Hi!
I am currently studying at the University of Kent and sometimes it happens that I miss lectures and fall behind. What I do when this happens, I make sure I am up to date with every other work, set time aside time to watch the lectures (just because the slides are not self-explanatory enough) and then pace myself to do the catch up work when it's too much to do it all in one go. My advise is not to let accumulate any missed content because it will be hard to catch up on that.

I hope this helps! Don't hesitate to ask more questions if you have any.

Tracy :smile:
- UKC Rep

Please help.

Many thanks,
F

Did you apply for DSA? You should approach Student Support as there are people to help :smile:
Aren't your lectures recorded

Please help.

Many thanks,
F

You need to remember that uni is nothing like GCSE or A level
It's the first time that you will have to figure out for yourself what is relevant and what isn't and that is a big step for anyone
Definitely see student support for sure, but what is it specifically you are finding difficult ? The transition in general ? Or something else ?

Manchester did used to offer automatic one week extensions for anyone registered with the disability service (called DASS at Manchester) but they are in the process of reviewing this - however the easiest way to access support long term is by registering with them
Talk to your tutorial /seminar leaders as well

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending