Imagine that you have to hear God Save The Queen once per week...

Watch
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
https://www.thestandard.com.hk/secti...une-with-times

This is what happens here in HK. Schools need to have one flag raising ceremony per week and during special events since 2022. They need to display the national flag of China every day.

I had something similar being done when I went on exchange to Australia in 2018. The school I went to had a band play and sing the national anthem of Australia, Advance Australia Fair, once every 2 weeks.

Imagine that you need to stand for God Save The Queen every week, and see the GB flag at your school every day. What do you think?
Last edited by 8013; 1 week ago
sufys12
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by 8013)

This is what happens here in HK. Schools need to have one flag raising ceremony per week and during special events since 2022. They need to display the national flag of China every day.

I had something similar being done when I went on exchange to Australia in 2018. The school I went to had a band play and sing the national anthem of Australia, Advance Australia Fair, once every 2 weeks.

Imagine that you need to stand for God Save The Queen every week, and see the GB flag at your school every day. What do you think?
Wouldn't mind a bit of patriotism.
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
A bit tedious but other than that wouldnt overly care. Better than having to go to church or other nonsense like that
xxKittyxx
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by sufys12)
Wouldn't mind a bit of patriotism.
Getting kids to obediently stand for the national anthem while waving a flag around is simply not part of British culture, so introducing it would be unpatriotic.

Ridiculing a really lame patriotic song and drawing comparisons to the Hitler Youth is a more genuine expression of Britishness than actually reflects our idiosyncrasies.
Napp
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by xxKittyxx)
Getting kids to obediently stand for the national anthem while waving a flag around is simply not part of British culture, so introducing it would be unpatriotic.
Since when? Have you never been to a public event be it Glyndebourne, the Proms, the jubilee celebrations, private schools etc. etc. etc.
Ridiculing a really lame patriotic song and drawing comparisons to the Hitler Youth is a more genuine expression of Britishness than actually reflects our idiosyncrasies.
The song might be lame, at least compared to Rule Britannia, but only a moron would compare it to the Hitler Youth (hence why it came from twitter, the home of defectives)
xxKittyxx
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Napp)
Since when? Have you never been to a public event be it Glyndebourne, the Proms, the jubilee celebrations, private schools etc. etc. etc.
There is a distinction between voluntarily attending events and being required to engage in the empty patriotic gestures because a teacher tells you to. I should not need to explain this rather obvious distinction. As for independent schools, these are not the norm for the vast majority of British people. Being forced to sing the anthem on a regular basis is simply not very British.

The song might be lame, at least compared to Rule Britannia, but only a moron would compare it to the Hitler Youth (hence why it came from twitter, the home of defectives)
Sadly British humour and our self-deprecation has completely eluded you. Clearly you have much to learn about our idiosyncratic culture.
Barbu
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Thanks for the laugh, that woke me up.
HansLuben
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I suspect if you swapped it for an EU flag/anthem then many here would be ode for joy-ed about it.
nulli tertius
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago

Until the 1970s every evening at the cinema finished with the National Anthem.

Until the early 1980s television stations closed down each evening with the National Anthem.
SHallowvale
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I don't support blind patriotism, so I wouldn't stand for the flag. The whole thing seems rather cringe worthy anyways.
Napp
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
There is a distinction between voluntarily attending events and being required to engage in the empty patriotic gestures because a teacher tells you to. I should not need to explain this rather obvious distinction. As for independent schools, these are not the norm for the vast majority of British people. Being forced to sing the anthem on a regular basis is simply not very British.
And i should not have to explain this extremely basic concept that your opinion on this matter is not a fact, certainly not one backed up by any form of evidence.
Sadly British humour and our self-deprecation has completely eluded you. Clearly you have much to learn about our idiosyncratic culture.
And where exactly do you think im from sweetie? :rofl:
I do love that you're trying to portray yourself as quintessentially British yet are simply coming across as ignorant, pompous and frankly rather dull-witted with a dash of xenophobia thrown in for good measure.
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Had to do that at least once a week or in assemblies at a few of my old schools.
I know a few very wealthy older people who do this in their homes on a weekly basis and before the start of every dinner party with a costume or formal dress code.
Starship Trooper
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Screw the monarchy and God save the Queen is cringe such a **** and uninspiring tune.

We should have Land of Hope and Glory as our national anthem.

That said I don't think you can top the Soviet Anthem
Starship Trooper
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by HansLuben)
I suspect if you swapped it for an EU flag/anthem then many here would be ode for joy-ed about it.
Prsom. Or a BLM, pride flag etc...

Name:  Screenshot_2021-10-14-14-36-39-15_92b64b2a7aa6eb3771ed6e18d0029815.jpg
Views: 10
Size:  92.7 KB
Attached files
Gaddafi
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Meh not a fan of the song (the country needs a better tune frankly.) I wouldn't care if it was done whilst I was at school though, only a couple minutes.
Napp
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by Starship Trooper)
Screw the monarchy and God save the Queen is cringe such a **** and uninspiring tune.

We should have Land of Hope and Glory as our national anthem.

That said I don't think you can top the Soviet Anthem
Personally im much more of a fan of Rule Britannia
True say of the USSR/Russian anthem though
64Lightbulbs
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
American classrooms do the pledge of allegiance every morning, and have american flags in most classrooms. it's quite tedious, not really extreme enough to feel authoritarian or anything to me, if that's what you're implying
Last edited by 64Lightbulbs; 6 days ago
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Earplugs would be my answer
Kallisto
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by 8013)

My personal thought would be: horrible! just because I get forced to patriotism.

(...) Yeung said the national flag education can guide students to study Chinese culture, history and the country's development. It can help students to value attitudes like respect, etiquette, discipline, solidarity and cooperation. (...)
I rather think that this national thing is used for propaganda, my impression.
the bear
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by nulli tertius)
Until the 1970s every evening at the cinema finished with the National Anthem.

Until the early 1980s television stations closed down each evening with the National Anthem.
Radio 4 despite its tedious wokeness still closes down for the night with the National Anthem just before 1 am.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (156)
54.74%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (42)
14.74%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (32)
11.23%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (26)
9.12%
I haven't started researching yet (16)
5.61%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (13)
4.56%

Watched Threads