Submitting the same personal statement as you did last year

Watch
rehena12
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hi I’m reapplying to the same course at my Durham . I’m planning to not change my personal statement at all expect someone grammar errors and adding what I will be doing in my gap year

I’m wondering if I will be penalised by Durham admissions
The course I’m applying to is quite small and im worrying they’ll see it and be like we’ve seen it somewhere and assume I haven’t developed and be penalised
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Don’t you have anything else to add relating to your chosen subject?
rehena12
Rep:
?
(Original post by PQ)
Don’t you have anything else to add relating to your chosen subject?
Not really other than reading another book I kinda after didn’t dweleve into my subject especially after the pandemic and exams could I get penalised by admissions?
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by rehena12)
Not really other than reading another book I kinda after didn’t dweleve into my subject especially after the pandemic and exams could I get penalised by admissions?
You should ask Durham directly whether this will be an issue.

You have 3+ months until the deadline to do something new. If you can’t motivate yourself to spend a day or two doing something related to your chosen degree then are you sure that it’s the right degree for you?
Georgiaa_100
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
It should be completely fine to use the same one especially if ur gonna add what ur doing in ur gap year. If you think about it nothing has really changed in the time from when you last applied apart from ur gap year and Durham won’t expect anything to have changed. Plus with the amount of applications Durham receive they most likely won’t remember ur personal statement from last year even if it’s a small course.
Admit-One
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
They won't recall your PS from last cycle, but as per PQ, they'd be concerned if there is no recent relevant activity at all. Only Durham could tell you whether that would affect the outcome of your application.
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Fwiw - the way our system works it shows previous PSs below the current PS for re-applicants. Different universities might have the same setup to instantly see the old PS alongside the new.
hungrysalamander
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
You should probably start a new one. As others have said you need to show admission tutors that you are furthering yourself during your gap year. If I were to reapply, I'd scrap my old ps entirely as I cringe everytime I read it.
Admit-One
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by PQ)
Fwiw - the way our system works it shows previous PSs below the current PS for re-applicants. Different universities might have the same setup to instantly see the old PS alongside the new.
Interesting! Ours definitely doesn't do that. It does flag them as a reapplicant though, so we could seek the old PS our if we really cared, (we don't ).
rehena12
Rep:
?
(Original post by hungrysalamander)
You should probably start a new one. As others have said you need to show admission tutors that you are furthering yourself during your gap year. If I were to reapply, I'd scrap my old ps entirely as I cringe everytime I read it.
Thanks but I actually liked my ps when I wrote it and still now my teachers thought it was really good exemplar I’m fact hence I don’t really want to change it I’ll email Durham about it but I think I might change a book and add what I will be doing in my gap year
rehena12
Rep:
?
(Original post by PQ)
What does fwiw mean ?
rehena12
Rep:
?
(Original post by PQ)
You should ask Durham directly whether this will be an issue.

You have 3+ months until the deadline to do something new. If you can’t motivate yourself to spend a day or two doing something related to your chosen degree then are you sure that it’s the right degree for you?
It’s just that I really liked my personal statement and it was strong hence I don’t really want to change it
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (211)
56.57%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (50)
13.4%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (41)
10.99%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (33)
8.85%
I haven't started researching yet (22)
5.9%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (16)
4.29%

Watched Threads