AKA NO LIMITS
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hi so I’m an independent student who has just finished A levels and I’m reapplying to medicine

I need a reference by the 15th of October, however my referee is off sick for the week

What shall I do?
Last edited by AKA NO LIMITS; 1 week ago
flaurie
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
If your referee is connected to a school/organisation try and get in contact with them (through the school if you have no other means of communication) asap, hopefully they've written your reference and it's just a matter of uploading it and approving your application
Last edited by flaurie; 1 week ago
AKA NO LIMITS
Rep:
?
(Original post by flaurie)
If your referee is connected to a school/organisation try and get in contact with them (through the school if you have no other means of communication) asap, hopefully they've written your reference and it's just a matter of uploading it and approving your application
As in I should contact my actual school?
flaurie
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by AKA NO LIMITS)
As in I should contact my actual school?
If your referee is a teacher in your school and you don’t have any other means of communication with your referee, yes
AKA NO LIMITS
Rep:
?
(Original post by flaurie)
If your referee is a teacher in your school and you don’t have any other means of communication with your referee, yes
Yeah my referee is staff at the school. I have contacted the email he said we should contact (his manager) but I still feel a bit uneasy. I have just contacted the actual school just now.

If they don’t get back to me in 3 days am I screwed?
Last edited by AKA NO LIMITS; 1 week ago
Admit-One
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Yeah my referee is staff at the school. I have contacted the email he said we should contact (his manager) but I still feel a bit uneasy. I have just contacted the actual school just now.

If they don’t get back to me in 3 days am I screwed?
Phone the school to follow up on your email and let them know your deadline.
AKA NO LIMITS
Rep:
?
(Original post by Admit-One)
Phone the school to follow up on your email and let them know your deadline.
I just done this, basically they said they can get me one but it’ll be generalised since they dont know me personally

I’m so scared this might affect my overall application can I change it once my referee comes back? Or can I get my referee to change it?
Admit-One
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I just done this, basically they said they can get me one but it’ll be generalised since they dont know me personally

I’m so scared this might affect my overall application can I change it once my referee comes back? Or can I get my referee to change it?
Once the application is submitted you won’t be able to make any amendments to what’s already been provided. Some Medicine programmes ask for referees contact details and send a link for a reference to be provided later, (but others need it up front).

I can only suggest that you ask the uni directly. They may accept a reference provided to them directly later, but if it’s their policy not to, you’ll be stuck with the more general one.
AKA NO LIMITS
Rep:
?
(Original post by Admit-One)
Once the application is submitted you won’t be able to make any amendments to what’s already been provided. Some Medicine programmes ask for referees contact details and send a link for a reference to be provided later, (but others need it up front).

I can only suggest that you ask the uni directly. They may accept a reference provided to them directly later, but if it’s their policy not to, you’ll be stuck with the more general one.

So I should contact them right now? Each of them?
Shall I include my UCAS number?

Also would a generalised one affect my application considering I’m an ex student?
Admit-One
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
So I should contact them right now? Each of them?
I would. Something along the lines of "I'll be submitting an app shortly, but my preferred referee is not available currently. I was wondering if you would be open to receiving a second reference after submission? I appreciate that this may not be possible."
Shall I include my UCAS number?
Yes, include this in every email.
Also would a generalised one affect my application considering I’m an ex student?
I can't say for certain as I am not currently involved in Medicine admissions. For a general course it would not make much difference, but Medicine may weight the reference more heavily.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (193)
55.46%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (49)
14.08%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (39)
11.21%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (32)
9.2%
I haven't started researching yet (20)
5.75%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (15)
4.31%

Watched Threads