spanish a level 9719 question 2 grammar manipulation help?

Watch
SarahLeigh552
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I always get these wrong! Any tips, tricks, guidance much appreciated.
https://pastpapers.papacambridge.com...-w20-qp-22-pdf

Page 3 are the questions I need help with.
Thank you!
Plantagenet Crown
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by SarahLeigh552)
I always get these wrong! Any tips, tricks, guidance much appreciated.
https://pastpapers.papacambridge.com...-w20-qp-22-pdf

Page 3 are the questions I need help with.
Thank you!
In the paper you’ve provided I can’t see the text these sentences are coming from and it would be useful to have it for context. However, the exercise is basically asking you to rephrase the sentence so that it includes the word in brackets and still has the exact same meaning. It’s testing your knowledge of prepositions and how switching the order of words can sometimes change the form of the verb. Without having access to the text I’ll go through the examples but I’d need to see the text to make sure my answers are 100% correct.

2a) está creciendo (no deja).

- “Está creciendo” means “it’s growing”. I presume in this question it’s testing your knowledge on the construction “no dejar de” which means “to continue/keep doing something.” So without seeing the text I’d assume the manipulated sentence is:

“No deja de crecer” which means “it keeps growing” which essentially means the same as “it’s growing”.

2b) El centro dispone de 21 plazas (cuenta)

This means “the centre has 21 spaces”. Here it’s almost certainly testing whether you know the construction “contar con” which means “to have”. So I presume the manipulated sentence to give the same meaning would be:

“El centro cuenta con 21 plazas.”

2c) una vez cubiertas sus necesidades básicas (después de que)

This means “once his/her basic necessities are met/covered” and the bit it brackets means “after”. Without seeing the text I can’t be 100% sure on the exact phrasing they want but if I were to rephrase this to say “after his/her basic necessities have been covered” using that preposition, I’d use the subjunctive because “después de que” triggers it. I don’t know whether you’ve studied that tense yet? But I’d say:

“Después de que cubran sus necesidades básicas”.

2d) Me ingresaron en un centro de menores (ingresado)

Here it’s definitely testing your ability to switch between the 2 different past tenses in the Spanish: the preterite, which is the simple past (e.g. yo comí = I ate) and the perfect preterite, which is the past that utilises he auxiliary verb “haber” (e.g. yo he comido = I have eaten).

In the sentence they’ve used the preterite but the form of the verb in brackets ends in “do” which immediately gives away that it’s preterite perfect meaning you’ll have to provide the auxiliary and conjugate it in the form for “them” because the “ingresaron” form of the verb is indicative of the preterite tense for “ellos” :

Yo ingresé
Tú ingresaste
Él/ella ingresó
Nosotros ingresamos
Vosotros ingresasteis
Ellos/ellas ingresaron

So you have to know how to say “they have + verb”. Forming the preterite perfect for this verb is as follows:

Yo he ingresado
Tú has ingresado
Él/ella ha ingresado
Nosotros hemos ingresado
Vosotros habéis ingresado
Ellos/ellas han ingresado

Therefore the manipulated sentence which means practically the same thing is:

“Me han ingresado en un centro de menores”

2e) como su tez es negra (tener)

This means “given his/her face is black” and the verb in brackets of course means “to have”. So I assume you’re going to need to write “he/she has a black face”. But don’t translate this directly because when referring to body parts that we’re describing we don’t usually use “a” in Spanish, we use “el/la instead”. So I’d write:

“Como tiene la tez negra.”
Last edited by Plantagenet Crown; 1 month ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (8)
10%
Okay (26)
32.5%
A bit lacking (22)
27.5%
Not good at all (24)
30%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed