Would it be weird calling yourself black if you’re 1/4 black?

Watch
Iownuk
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I did a dna Test that says I’m actually 1/5 black but my grandad was black and my dad was half black so I should be 1/4 black right. I don’t look white, most people say I look hispanic or turkish lol. I don’t really look black either though, I don’t have black people hair and my skin colour is like one shade below white
sn_00l
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
You’re mixed then no ?
Johnnava
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
It's a philosophical difference between the US and many Commonwealth countries (including India) whereby you have to be around 100% black to label yourself as monoracial, otherwise you are a mixed-race person, but the US has a "one-drop" rule whereby you are black if you have 1 drop of black blood.
Last edited by Johnnava; 1 week ago
goggleyed
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
yeah its gonna be kinda weird if you don't look black
Mesopotamian.
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
You could say you’re “part black” if you want? Although if you’re 1/4 something, I’m not sure whether it’s worth mentioning unless it’s relevant to the context.
I’m 1/4 something and part something else and most of the time can’t be bothered to mention either, although I guess it’s whatever floats your boat.
Twinsanity
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Im technically a 1/4 Nigerian and 3/4 British i look middle eastern ( people try to talk to me in arabic ) although i rekon you can tell im african if you think about it i have quite a few distinct african features and an african name, however I always thought i was half nigerian until a few years ago ( im 20, so that was a bit confusing for a while ) i just identify as British Nigerian I am entitled to both passports, my name is nigerian, and i cook bloody good nigerian food. I dont know about your case but you can deffo call yourself black if you want to its not weird, you are both black and white, if anyone feels like questioning you and you feel uncomfotable tell them to sod off.
Last edited by Twinsanity; 1 week ago
Trinculo
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Elizabeth Warren tried to become President of the United States using the selling point that she was a Native American, when in fact she was (at best) 1/1024.
Little pecker
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Black is an outdated term, it’s dark white now.
gjd800
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I am legs because I am 1/3 legs
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (121)
56.54%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (24)
11.21%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (26)
12.15%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (19)
8.88%
I haven't started researching yet (11)
5.14%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (13)
6.07%

Watched Threads