The Student Room Group

route to becoming an it support technician

guys I would like to know the route to become a IT support technician as I've googled it but google is giving answers that don't make sense
Original post by H.B.K
guys I would like to know the route to become a IT support technician as I've googled it but google is giving answers that don't make sense

Hi @H.B.K

It's great to hear you want to become an IT Support Technician - there's lots of demand for skilled IT professionals and lots of opportunity for roles in this area.

Our students take the CompTIA A+ certification before securing work as an IT Support Technician. Other certifications could include the CompTIA Network+ or the CCNA, however the CompTIA A+ is the best place to start. We've recently done a short webinar with student Jack who got a role in IT support after completing his CompTIA A+ certification. You can watch this here: https://youtu.be/lIcYYNb62vE

The other thing you should do is build up some work experience. Whether that's voluntary work at an office, or fixing your friends/family's computer systems, it's a great thing to add to your CV.

I hope that helps,
Jenny at Learning People
Reply 2
Thank you so much im grateful for your response I will check out the YouTube link straight away
Reply 3
Do work on your CompTIA A+

It's a great certification to help you get into IT.

I am currently doing IT Solutions Technician as my certification having been in this industry for almost 5 years so you'll enjoy it :smile:
Reply 4
hi please what qualifications do I need
Reply 5
Original post by H.B.K
hi please what qualifications do I need

You can apply for Just IT and do CompTIA via them. They are based in London.

You would need to be a graduate or in full time work in order to apply. They will advertise on job boards.
Reply 6
graduate in what course may I ask
Reply 7
Original post by H.B.K
graduate in what course may I ask

This can be any course. You don't need an IT degree to get into IT.
Reply 8
may i know where you did your it support course
Reply 9
Original post by H.B.K
may i know where you did your it support course

I did it remotely while in employment

The link below is for Just IT'S website so you can contact them :smile:

https://www.justit.co.uk/
Reply 10
great thanks for you help I really appreciate all your help
If you can't afford the courses - get funded, personally I've never forked out for my certifications and if you're already on a course and certified , Well done :-)

Quick Reply