Factual mistake in Personal Statement - URGENT !!

Watch
GeminiReads11
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
My UCAS application was sent out yesterday and has already been received by 4/5 unis but I’ve realised I’ve made a considerable mistake in one of the topics I discussed in my PS.
I’m applying for English at Cambridge and other competitive unis and I’m worried this will negatively affect my chances of getting to interview, even though it was an honest mistake.

I talked a bit about Virginia Woolf and at one point described her work as “postmodernist”, when it is in fact definitively Modernist - a movement postmodernism is directly contrary to, so it is very obviously wrong. I cannot believe in all the drafts that were proofread by my teachers that nobody picked up this mistake, but I’m concerned that admissions will take it to mean that I don’t really know what I’m talking about.

Considering this is an area I chose myself as being of special interest, is it totally damning that I made such a basic mistake ???? Very worried I’ve ruined everything with just 4 letters 😞
caitlinmae...
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hi! Dont panic - im sure if the uni like your application enough they will consider you

they understand that people are going to make mistakes - it wont effect it massively, just a general mistake - and when you come to interview stage then just mention it - its not always about what you know it is sometimes about your character and how you come across
ageshallnot
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by GeminiReads11)
My UCAS application was sent out yesterday and has already been received by 4/5 unis but I’ve realised I’ve made a considerable mistake in one of the topics I discussed in my PS.
I’m applying for English at Cambridge and other competitive unis and I’m worried this will negatively affect my chances of getting to interview, even though it was an honest mistake.

I talked a bit about Virginia Woolf and at one point described her work as “postmodernist”, when it is in fact definitively Modernist - a movement postmodernism is directly contrary to, so it is very obviously wrong. I cannot believe in all the drafts that were proofread by my teachers that nobody picked up this mistake, but I’m concerned that admissions will take it to mean that I don’t really know what I’m talking about.

Considering this is an area I chose myself as being of special interest, is it totally damning that I made such a basic mistake ???? Very worried I’ve ruined everything with just 4 letters 😞
If you get an interview at Cambridge I strongly suspect that you will be asked to justify your categorisation of Woolf!

Whatever you do, don't even hint at blaming those who proofread your PS.
succubus666
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by GeminiReads11)

I’m applying for Cambridge too, what are your predicted grades if you don’t mind me asking and which college are you applying to?
GeminiReads11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 day ago
(Original post by ageshallnot)
If you get an interview at Cambridge I strongly suspect that you will be asked to justify your categorisation of Woolf!

Whatever you do, don't even hint at blaming those who proofread your PS.
If I could get an interview, that's what I would've expected to be asked too. My immediate reaction was to read up more on the difference between the two movements and take out a few library books to be able to articulate where I went wrong, so hopefully if it comes up, I'll be able to explain the rest of my original point much better
GeminiReads11
Rep:
?
(Original post by caitlinmae...)
Hi! Dont panic - im sure if the uni like your application enough they will consider you

they understand that people are going to make mistakes - it wont effect it massively, just a general mistake - and when you come to interview stage then just mention it - its not always about what you know it is sometimes about your character and how you come across
That's reassuring to hear! Hopefully, now that I've read up on the area a lot more, I can get across that it was an innocent mistake and that by mentioning how I dealt with it, my genuine interest in understanding the subject will come across
GeminiReads11
Rep:
?
(Original post by succubus666)
I’m applying for Cambridge too, what are your predicted grades if you don’t mind me asking and which college are you applying to?
Aw good luck! I'm predicted A*A*A* at the minute and I'm applying to Pembroke, what about you?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (159)
54.64%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (42)
14.43%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (33)
11.34%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (26)
8.93%
I haven't started researching yet (17)
5.84%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (14)
4.81%

Watched Threads