Changing uni courses/Withdrawing

Watch
Hanlooc
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hi

Im currently a first year, have been at uni for two weeks, and have recently tried to change my course. I have been told multiple times, that no department in the whole of the uni is accepting transfers. They told me my only option is to withdraw, however I've just come from a gap year and there really is nothing for me at home. Im not entirely sure what to do, the course is not enjoyable, but I could do first year if I had to. My only concern is starting a new degree next year will extend my student finance by a year, and will leave me in more debt. Any help would be really appreciated! : )
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
The debt isn't really an issue because almost no one repays the loan in full anyway unless they're earning oodles of money, and it gets written off 30 years after you take it out regardless. It's essentially a graduate tax in all but name, so you can pretty much forget about it as being "debt" because you can't default on it like a bank loan. A bigger issue is if you study for a year then change course, you lose one year of SFE entitlement - that means you would only have funding for exactly the length of the new course, and if you had to repeat a year or change course again you'd need to self fund that year.

I'd recommend withdrawing now if you know you don't like the course. There's no point in sticking around and you have a better chance of preserving your SFE entitlement by withdrawing as early as possible. Usually if you withdraw before a certain point in the term you are not liable for tuition fees. Note however if you withdraw now, you will have to pay back your maintenance loan minus the value of two week of it pro-rata (or however many weeks is the point at which you withdraw). You will also likely need to find a replacement tenant for your student accommodation contract.
mike23mike
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
withdraw and save your first year fees. You really need to think about what you want to study at uni.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (193)
55.46%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (49)
14.08%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (39)
11.21%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (32)
9.2%
I haven't started researching yet (20)
5.75%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (15)
4.31%

Watched Threads