am I traumatised? what should I do

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
a few nights ago my housemate/best friend went to a society's social at a club and got very drunk. she was sending so many incoherent messages that i ended up driving into town to get her and bring her home. We put her to bed and were sitting in the lounge when we heard gagging and realised she'd thrown up whilst on her back and was breathing in/choking on her vomit. We quickly rushed to put her on her side but she was unresponsive so we called an ambulance. I genuinely thought she was going to die and knowing that if we weren't awake she probably would have has messed me up. I have hardly slept since and I can't go in the lounge area without feeling like I'm going to have a panic attack. idk what to do, should i see a doctor or should i just wait it out? Is this what its like to be traumatised?
danperg
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I'd book a doctor and discuss it. It was a very traumatic experience and clearly has affected you, which is totally normal!

I personally suffer from reflux and have woken twice choking, it's pretty horrific and I can only imagine what it must be like to see. Also your friend went too far, so there's a side of it that needs addressing there too, which again is pretty stressful for you.
black tea
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
You are not responsible for the state your friend put herself in and you did the right thing by calling an ambulance. It sounds like a pretty traumatic thing to have experienced and you should definitely speak to someone about how this has made you feel (perhaps a counsellor if your uni has one?). I hope your friends is safe and well.
Coventry University Student Ambassadors
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
a few nights ago my housemate/best friend went to a society's social at a club and got very drunk. she was sending so many incoherent messages that i ended up driving into town to get her and bring her home. We put her to bed and were sitting in the lounge when we heard gagging and realised she'd thrown up whilst on her back and was breathing in/choking on her vomit. We quickly rushed to put her on her side but she was unresponsive so we called an ambulance. I genuinely thought she was going to die and knowing that if we weren't awake she probably would have has messed me up. I have hardly slept since and I can't go in the lounge area without feeling like I'm going to have a panic attack. idk what to do, should i see a doctor or should i just wait it out? Is this what its like to be traumatised?
You did well to call an ambulance! Your friend was lucky you were around to help too - extremely lucky. It's normal to feel how you feel considering what you experienced, especially if you've never been in that situation before or know how to manage emotionally and mentally.

Waiting it out may suppress some underlying thoughts and feelings that'll likely haunt you further down the line. For the sake of your health and emotional wellbeing, I suggest speaking to a counsellor for a bit, through either your uni's health and wellbeing service or through your GP as it's worth discussing the event with someone to help give you an outside perspective on the situation. Hopefully, after some time and processing, you'll know how to handle a similar situation if you're ever in that position again - not to say it's encouraged, but at least you'll be better prepared for it.

I hope things improve for you

Veronica
Student Ambassador
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (121)
56.54%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (24)
11.21%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (26)
12.15%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (19)
8.88%
I haven't started researching yet (11)
5.14%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (13)
6.07%

Watched Threads