Why are religious people often judgemental?

Watch this thread
SaucissonSecCy
Badges: 16
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
I believe in God and Jesus. For a faith that says judge lest ye not be judged, they can be very presuming, christians. I just left church( I like to sit in empty church, don't go to services) and got one of the snottiest, most suspicious and judgemental looks I'd ever gotten from someone coming in. Apparently English churches have the English class system? Interestingly have not found this in my Catholic church with a more foreign contingent. It is a church of St Andrew does this mean it's more Presbyterian/protestant and judgemental?Is it an English thing or what?
Last edited by SaucissonSecCy; 9 months ago
SaucissonSecCy
Badges: 16
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
I've had more of Christians judging. It might offend but it's true. Not Catholic church though. I actually meant some Christians not the religious. So apologies I didn't write that.
Last edited by SaucissonSecCy; 9 months ago
londonmyst
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 9 months ago
Quite a few churches have either a very insular mindset that leads them to believe that they alone have a monopoly on virtue.
I've seen this within a variety of catholic, protestant and fringe non-denominational churches.
Many churches or fringe sects have hitched their faith to a very harsh fire&brimstone brand of theology, often connected to scriptural infallibility or biblical inerrancy.
Diem2015
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 9 months ago
Why are you so judgmental? Why do you think religious folks must be judgmental?
_kvymnnn
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 9 months ago
Prejudice
stomachulcer
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 9 months ago
Religion teaches people what to think. Not how to think for themselves.
NJA
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by SaucissonSecCy)
I believe in God and Jesus. For a faith that says judge lest ye not be judged, they can be very presuming, christians. I just left church( I like to sit in empty church, don't go to services) and got one of the snottiest, most suspicious and judgemental looks I'd ever gotten from someone coming in. Apparently English churches have the English class system? Interestingly have not found this in my Catholic church with a more foreign contingent. It is a church of St Andrew does this mean it's more Presbyterian/protestant and judgemental?Is it an English thing or what?
Don't judge all English churches by the one you visited!

Visit us and you will be welcomed, quite possibly by someone from another country!
fellowweebhere
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 9 months ago
I also have that same question, every Christian I’ve met has been very judgmental and thinks everything is a sin
londonmyst
Rep:
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by fellowweebhere)
I also have that same question, every Christian I’ve met has been very judgmental and thinks everything is a sin
There are plenty of TSR users who are very friendly, are not judgemental or fanatical about religion and have zero enthusiasm for the 'fire&brimstone' interpretation of christianity.
DecoyFerret
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 9 months ago
Being religious is in the spirit "us vs them" and judging others is pretty much the whole thing.
NJA
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 9 months ago
From tonight's talk:

"You don't need a parachute to go skydiving,
you need a parachute go skydiving twice.
. . . . you don't need God to live,
you need God to live forever."
fellowweebhere
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by londonmyst)
There are plenty of TSR users who are very friendly, are not judgemental or fanatical about religion and have zero enthusiasm for the 'fire&brimstone' interpretation of christianity.
Yes I know, I mean irl where I’m from. (:
da_nolo
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 9 months ago
I think this judgemental thing is two parts.

1. being judgemental is a societal and human trait. exists outside religios just as there are non judgemental religios (&non-religious). we have two tendencies that contradict each other - feed one and the other shrinks. forming a greater habit. in this case being judgemental. I think its a part of our desires to create us vs them groups. some call it tribalism but I see it in individualism too becuase everyone compares them selves to others. sometimes this creates jealousy or other unhealthy reactions.

2. unfrotunately this means its everywhere. I am catholic and was surprised to hear another person's take on their experience at my parish. I been there since a kid and never experienced the same situation. sometimes we just suck at communicating too though. what we say is not always the same thing that is heard. or vise versa. so the second part is issues in communication.
Last edited by da_nolo; 9 months ago
Smeraldettoi
Rep:
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by SaucissonSecCy)
The Scottish episcopal I go to is very friendly. Idk if that’s just a Scottish thing or more liberal thing but I get what you mean about some kinds of Christians being judgy
username5804874
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 9 months ago
I haven't seen this sort of snobbiness at any of the churches I've been to.

Snobby Christians do exist but they're very much in the minority.
bettinakovacs
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 9 months ago
Because they think they are saints for being believers. So they think that they can judge others.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How confident are you that you'll achieve the grades you need to get into your firm uni?

I think I've exceeded the grades for my university offer (20)
16.95%
I think I've met the grades for my university offer (31)
26.27%
I think I've missed the grades for my university offer (63)
53.39%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (4)
3.39%

Watched Threads