Revision for A levels

Watch
shadowelite
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
How do you create a timetable for effective revision and how many hours should I study a day?

Nobody2u
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Get a large exercise book and separate it into parts for each subject. Then for each subject take a page for each sub chapter and list all the revision questions/past paper questions that cover that area and the time necessary to do the question. That way you should have an estimate of the time required for each chapter and subject area. Build in time for bad estimates and problem areas. Then calculate realistically how many days you have available to revise, leaving space for sports, birthdays, and a minimum f social activity and then transfer the work chapters with the questions onto a calendar, not forgetting that you'll still have homework from school to complete so don't overcharge the agenda.
It worked for my kids and kept them focused without overloading the system
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by shadowelite)
How do you create a timetable for effective revision and how many hours should I study a day?
Hey shadowelite 👋 ,

Finding a rhythm for revision can be difficult but once you've got it everything will click into place.
When creating a revision time table, I firstly like to make a list of all the subject areas in which I need to be studying for and the dates of the exams / hand ins. Then you can clearly see how much time you have to work on each area. After this you could use a diary / planner to hand write or spreadsheet / table to create an online guide of the days and times you are going to be revising. I like to use different colours for each subject so it is very clear what subject it is.

For the time table I would try to stick to 1 - 1.5 hours of each subject at a time as after this time I find myself getting distracted and the revision I do is not as effective. I would maybe try and stick to 2 - 3 subjects a day as more than this can lead to a lack of concentration. Don't forget to give yourself breaks in-between subjects to refresh your mind.
A final tip from me would be; try and be realistic with your timings and the amount of work you will get done during each day. I find that if I keep falling behind on my schedule then I start to be stressed and panicked and then I get less work done, which is not helpful.

Hope this helps - let me know if you have any more questions!
Shelby - UoP Rep
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has your education been disrupted this academic year due to the pandemic?

Yes (153)
85%
No (27)
15%

Watched Threads