Ten-Ten
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
So I’m in university and absolutely hate my course. I chose it through clearing as my options were limited but I cannot see myself doing this course for the rest of the year. I asked about changing but my advisor said it’s not possible and I feel like I’ll end up wasting 3 years doing a course I don’t want to do and probably won’t do well in. I don’t want to drop out either as I wouldn’t know what to do as I don’t know what career I want to go into, I was planning on studying business management and use that to try different careers but now I’m doing mathematics with finance and accounting, a career I know I do not want to enter
ayesha_15
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Ten-Ten)
So I’m in university and absolutely hate my course. I chose it through clearing as my options were limited but I cannot see myself doing this course for the rest of the year. I asked about changing but my advisor said it’s not possible and I feel like I’ll end up wasting 3 years doing a course I don’t want to do and probably won’t do well in. I don’t want to drop out either as I wouldn’t know what to do as I don’t know what career I want to go into, I was planning on studying business management and use that to try different careers but now I’m doing mathematics with finance and accounting, a career I know I do not want to enter
Have you ever thought about taking a gap year and getting some work experience in different places and you could see from there what you enjoy? Just have a think on that and try not to force yourself to stay doing a course that you don’t rlly enjoy as it might affect you later on in life xx hope this helps, sorry I’m not the best at giving advice x
Ten-Ten
Rep:
?
(Original post by ayesha_15)
Have you ever thought about taking a gap year and getting some work experience in different places and you could see from there what you enjoy? Just have a think on that and try not to force yourself to stay doing a course that you don’t rlly enjoy as it might affect you later on in life xx hope this helps, sorry I’m not the best at giving advice x
It’s ok. I did think about a gap year but convincing my parents would be an issue as I can’t promise my parents that I will go back to uni after a year
PhoenixFortune
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
If you don't want to do that course, I suggest reapplying through UCAS for ones you do want to do. If you aren't sure, then you need to only reapply once you are certain of the degree which will serve you best.
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hi

I can offer some advice from personal experience.

When i came to uni in 2018 i chose a course based off my a-level choices, i didn't really have much experience with other subjects and had no idea what i wanted to do after a-levels so i picked a course i did well in during my a-levels. I realised pretty quickly that i had made a mistake, i even went to go transfer my course after 2 weeks of doing that course but for some reason i decided not to go through with it in the end. After a year of not doing very well, purely because i just wasn't interested in what i was learning and in my heart i knew i was wasting my time, i decided i would either have to drop out completely or start again with a completely different course.

Starting again is not an easy thing to do at all, after all, i had completed a whole year already and i was disheartened by the thought of doing it all over again. But i decided it was either that or drop out and i didn't really see how dropping out completely would help me. So i switched to a completely different course, started first year again and i haven't looked back since! I have met some amazing people on this new course, people i would never have met if i didn't take the chance and start all over again.

So i would say put your happiness first and start again with a course that you will enjoy doing more. As i said previously this wont be an easy thing to do, and perhaps disheartening at first but in the long run you will thank yourself for taking the decision to do something else. Student Finance England give you a 4th year incase you switch course, have to retake etc. so i wouldn't worry about the finance side of things.

Good luck finding your path

Andrew
Student Rep
Ten-Ten
Rep:
?
(Original post by University of Portsmouth Student Rep)
Hi

I can offer some advice from personal experience.

When i came to uni in 2018 i chose a course based off my a-level choices, i didn't really have much experience with other subjects and had no idea what i wanted to do after a-levels so i picked a course i did well in during my a-levels. I realised pretty quickly that i had made a mistake, i even went to go transfer my course after 2 weeks of doing that course but for some reason i decided not to go through with it in the end. After a year of not doing very well, purely because i just wasn't interested in what i was learning and in my heart i knew i was wasting my time, i decided i would either have to drop out completely or start again with a completely different course.

Starting again is not an easy thing to do at all, after all, i had completed a whole year already and i was disheartened by the thought of doing it all over again. But i decided it was either that or drop out and i didn't really see how dropping out completely would help me. So i switched to a completely different course, started first year again and i haven't looked back since! I have met some amazing people on this new course, people i would never have met if i didn't take the chance and start all over again.

So i would say put your happiness first and start again with a course that you will enjoy doing more. As i said previously this wont be an easy thing to do, and perhaps disheartening at first but in the long run you will thank yourself for taking the decision to do something else. Student Finance England give you a 4th year incase you switch course, have to retake etc. so i wouldn't worry about the finance side of things.

Good luck finding your path

Andrew
Student Rep
Thank you for that. I’ll take some more time to consider my options
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (193)
55.46%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (49)
14.08%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (39)
11.21%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (32)
9.2%
I haven't started researching yet (20)
5.75%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (15)
4.31%

Watched Threads