Experiencing speech and language issues?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
A little back story. I’m deaf, and I wear two hearing aids. I’ve always managed to talk fine, had no issues with my words.

However, ever since high school I’ve started noticing that I have a hard time when I speak. If I speak quick (which is normal for me) in saying a full sentence, some words come out to be unintelligible… like they’re slurred. It’s like my brain doesn’t connect with my mouth, and my mouth just messes up the words without thinking about it?

It’s making me very self conscious because my family have noticed it for a few years. For example, if I say - hold on I’m putting my shoes on. Sometimes my brain will mix shoes with another object? Like I’m putting on my trousers? Even though I 100% the differences between the objects :/

I was thinking it was some sort of aphasia, but I’ve had no brain injuries and I don’t have any brain tumours? Who should I go to in order to get this checked?
black tea
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Have you seen a doctor about this? That would be the best first step.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by black tea)
Have you seen a doctor about this? That would be the best first step.
I’ve thought about it a lot, but as COVID-19 is still an issue, it’s appointments over the phone and I’m uncomfortable with that in case they brush me off. How would I even bring up the subject?
Pathway
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I’ve thought about it a lot, but as COVID-19 is still an issue, it’s appointments over the phone and I’m uncomfortable with that in case they brush me off. How would I even bring up the subject?
You'd basically say the same thing you've said here.

COVID-19 is mostly irrelevant. You have a health issue, you're still able to seek help for it, particularly as it seems to be impacting your life.
black tea
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
As Pathway has said above, Covid shouldn't stop you form getting help for a health issues. If you are not sure what to say or worry about your mind going blank, you could write down some bullet points about things that you think might be important - e.g. how long this has been going on for, some examples of what has been happening, any other things you have noticed happening alongside this etc. They might think it's nothing worrying, or they might want to investigate things further and until you speak to them, you won't get to the bottom of what is going until you speak to them.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (112)
57.14%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (22)
11.22%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (24)
12.24%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (16)
8.16%
I haven't started researching yet (11)
5.61%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (11)
5.61%

Watched Threads