Where to go from here? re myCourse and life

Watch
sidmas88
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I need help.

TLDR- I picked the wrong A levels, tried to backpedal by learning another independently, wasn't quite successful. Now I'm at a degree that I don't particularly like and don’t know where to go from here.

I applied to do human geography in 2020 but due to the appalling way grades were decided (and no valid appeals system) I did not get in. I ‘resat’ Biology in the Autumn and went from a D to an A. My other A levels were Geography (B) and Psychology (B) I got the result in December which allowed me to apply to do human geography again. Between the time I got the result and now I developed cold feet about my course, and I realised I wanted to be involved in STEM

I looked at design engineering and other STEM based degrees and realised pretty early on I need Maths which I of course didn't take. I had nothing to do (it was winter and we were in a lockdown and couldn't find a job) so I said how hard can it be to teach myself A level maths and then take the summer 2021 exams. If I did well then apply through clearing. I ended up with a C and it looks like I was just a couple of marks off a B. I needed that B to do design engineering so ultimately I didn't get in and instead of just grabbing any course they offered me I opted to do my plan B of human geography.

I’m now doing Human Geography and I'm not particularly happy. I have no right to be disappointed as it was always a long shot moving into STEM in such a hurried way. But yeah I'm not happy here and I don't know what to do. I'm super reluctant to take another gap year as I really hated my last one. +I’m not even certain what STEM discipline I really want to go into yet as design engineering was just something to aim an arrow at.

So yeah any advice? firstly about how to decide what course to even do and secondly how do I fix the mess that is my life at the moment lol thanks.
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by sidmas88)
I need help.

TLDR- I picked the wrong A levels, tried to backpedal by learning another independently, wasn't quite successful. Now I'm at a degree that I don't particularly like and don’t know where to go from here.

I applied to do human geography in 2020 but due to the appalling way grades were decided (and no valid appeals system) I did not get in. I ‘resat’ Biology in the Autumn and went from a D to an A. My other A levels were Geography (B) and Psychology (B) I got the result in December which allowed me to apply to do human geography again. Between the time I got the result and now I developed cold feet about my course, and I realised I wanted to be involved in STEM

I looked at design engineering and other STEM based degrees and realised pretty early on I need Maths which I of course didn't take. I had nothing to do (it was winter and we were in a lockdown and couldn't find a job) so I said how hard can it be to teach myself A level maths and then take the summer 2021 exams. If I did well then apply through clearing. I ended up with a C and it looks like I was just a couple of marks off a B. I needed that B to do design engineering so ultimately I didn't get in and instead of just grabbing any course they offered me I opted to do my plan B of human geography.

I’m now doing Human Geography and I'm not particularly happy. I have no right to be disappointed as it was always a long shot moving into STEM in such a hurried way. But yeah I'm not happy here and I don't know what to do. I'm super reluctant to take another gap year as I really hated my last one. +I’m not even certain what STEM discipline I really want to go into yet as design engineering was just something to aim an arrow at.

So yeah any advice? firstly about how to decide what course to even do and secondly how do I fix the mess that is my life at the moment lol thanks.
Hi

I would not call this situation a mess at all! It can be tricky figuring out what you want to do, i'm sure we've all questioned whether we are making the right decision at times. I was in a similar situation in terms of regretting choosing my first degree. I ended up switching to another degree at the end of my first year and started all over again, i do not regret this decision at all and i am now happy with my degree course but even to this day, parts of me wishes i had taken something else entirely. But the reality is we can't do every degree we are interested in doing, we've got to come to a conclusion eventually and settle with one.

I would ask yourself what is it about your degree that you're not happy with right now? Once you know the answer then you can start looking forward and seeing if another degree can offer you something this current degree can't. If you are in your first year it is not too late to change, you can get another year of finance from SFE if you decide to switch course.

Regarding your grades for the STEM subjects you were looking into. Did you not have the grades for every single university, or just the higher up universities? If you can get into a university to do your subject even if it isn't Russel Group, i would still consider this if it means you will be happier whilst studying. Your happiness must come first, otherwise i would question how worthwhile it is doing.

I would do some research into other things you could be doing with your time instead of a subject you are not happy with. I would say not to panic, as you are not the first to be in this situation and you definitely wont be the last either. There is always time to do what you want and its your life, so why shouldn't you do what makes you happy?

Good luck with finding the right path

Andrew
Student Rep
mike23mike
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Look clearly you are clever; changing the biology to an A was impressive and then self-studying to get a C in A level maths is also impressive. "I’m not even certain what STEM discipline I really want to go into yet as design engineering was just something to aim an arrow at" - if you are not fixed on design engineering, drop out (another gap year) and really take the next few months to decide what you want to actually study at Uni.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (193)
55.14%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (49)
14%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (40)
11.43%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (32)
9.14%
I haven't started researching yet (21)
6%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (15)
4.29%

Watched Threads