The Student Room Group

university in london

i've found my dream degree in london but just worrying about cost of living and accomodation? i live up north so would be moving out to go down there but not sure if its worth it, are you completely skint when youre there? any advice on average living costs, accomodation in second and third year etc.
Original post by peanutbutter123
i've found my dream degree in london but just worrying about cost of living and accomodation? i live up north so would be moving out to go down there but not sure if its worth it, are you completely skint when youre there? any advice on average living costs, accomodation in second and third year etc.

Hi :smile:

You are definitely right for considering these things before making the decision to move to London. You are correct as living in London does come at a higher price than living in other areas of the country. However, you are entitled to more student loan if you moving to London, see this page for more information https://www.gov.uk/student-finance/new-fulltime-students

Your maintenance loan does depend on your household income and whether or not you are going to be studying in London. I wouldn't let the cost put you off, i would just sit down and consider whether this would be affordable for you. Look at what you could be entitled to as a student, research some accommodation providers and their prices. You could also research private accommodation costs and average living costs in the area you are going to be studying in and compare this to the loan entitlement on the government website i linked above.

But if this really is your dream, there will be a solution. You could always look into scholarships, grants and bursaries that you may be entitled to and of course the option of getting some type of employment whilst you're down there. Maybe also get in touch with your potential university's finance team and see if they have any information they can give you.

I hope this helps and good luck :smile:

Andrew
Student Rep
It depends upon your location, finances, health, diet, lifestyle preferences and budgeting abilities.
Accomodation costs, groceries and other living expenses are quite high in London compared with many other regions of the uk.
Have you checked the amount of maintainence loan that you will be eligible for and any uni bursaries?.

But in general with combined income from: living away maintainence loan, some savings, a part time job or a regular allowance from relatives- it is usually possible for most healthy students able to budget to be able to pay for reasonable accomodation costs & groceries and still have at least £50 a month left to spend on the occasional luxury or save in case of emergencies.
Be willing to restrict spending on expensive accomodation, takeaways, restaurants, ticketed events and items that you don't really need.
Good luck!
Reply 3
Hey I'm looking for a contract to take over in any UoL student accommodation. If anyone has a room they no longer want, please message me. I'm willing to pay some extras.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending