switching halls after christmas?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
i’ve been at uni for 3 weeks now going onto 4 and i really hate my flat. not so much the people though; i get along alright with them but they seem a lot closer with each other and it’s quite obvious that they’re not really my type of people. the hall itself is in a convenient location but it’s so small and antisocial.

my floor is made up of 2 girls including me and then 4 boys, 2 of which are older than us. one of the guys is alright but the others kind of give me the creeps. i like the other girl enough but again we’re not similar in the slightest and i think we’ve both kind of got an unspoken agreement to just be acquaintances. i also feel a bit uncomfortable having to share one bathroom with 4 males

i’m trying to keep an open mind about it but i’m just so confused on what to do. i’m in bristol btw and i really want to change to stoke bishop. does anyone have any advice / experience changing accommodation? i’m considering giving it til christmas because you never know by then i might have gotten over it or maybe i might befriend someone in my halls which might make it better
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
i’ve been at uni for 3 weeks now going onto 4 and i really hate my flat. not so much the people though; i get along alright with them but they seem a lot closer with each other and it’s quite obvious that they’re not really my type of people. the hall itself is in a convenient location but it’s so small and antisocial.

my floor is made up of 2 girls including me and then 4 boys, 2 of which are older than us. one of the guys is alright but the others kind of give me the creeps. i like the other girl enough but again we’re not similar in the slightest and i think we’ve both kind of got an unspoken agreement to just be acquaintances. i also feel a bit uncomfortable having to share one bathroom with 4 males

i’m trying to keep an open mind about it but i’m just so confused on what to do. i’m in bristol btw and i really want to change to stoke bishop. does anyone have any advice / experience changing accommodation? i’m considering giving it til christmas because you never know by then i might have gotten over it or maybe i might befriend someone in my halls which might make it better
Hi

Im sorry to hear about the situation you find yourself in. Living in halls can be tricky at times, living with people you don't see eye to eye with is by no means easy.

My advice would be that if you don't like where you are, then seriously consider moving if this is something easily do-able? You would have to talk to your accommodation provider but i don't see why this would be a problem.

If you are moving with the view to create bonds with potential future flatmates, then i would consider moving sooner rather than later - this would give you more time to make connections with other people in a different flat. But at the end of the day, you need to do what is best for you and it sounds like you are thinking moving would be best for you.

Do not take this as a failure by any means, living in halls is complicated for some because they get placed in a halls they don't like and with people they can't make proper connections with. This isn't your fault in the slightest, it was out of your control which flat you moved into. I wrote a blog about this which you can find here, maybe you can find some comfort in this https://www.port.ac.uk/news-events-a...-at-university

I hope all goes well for you, best of luck with everything

Andrew
Student Rep
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by University of Portsmouth Student Rep)
Hi

Im sorry to hear about the situation you find yourself in. Living in halls can be tricky at times, living with people you don't see eye to eye with is by no means easy.

My advice would be that if you don't like where you are, then seriously consider moving if this is something easily do-able? You would have to talk to your accommodation provider but i don't see why this would be a problem.

If you are moving with the view to create bonds with potential future flatmates, then i would consider moving sooner rather than later - this would give you more time to make connections with other people in a different flat. But at the end of the day, you need to do what is best for you and it sounds like you are thinking moving would be best for you.

Do not take this as a failure by any means, living in halls is complicated for some because they get placed in a halls they don't like and with people they can't make proper connections with. This isn't your fault in the slightest, it was out of your control which flat you moved into. I wrote a blog about this which you can find here, maybe you can find some comfort in this https://www.port.ac.uk/news-events-a...-at-university

I hope all goes well for you, best of luck with everything

Andrew
Student Rep
thank you so much for your reply! i do think i'll try to move, the application to request a room transfer opens next week. i hope it turns out ok
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (193)
55.3%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (49)
14.04%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (40)
11.46%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (32)
9.17%
I haven't started researching yet (20)
5.73%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (15)
4.3%

Watched Threads