The Student Room at School

Watch
lxsl.ey
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Sooo during form prep period, my class had a discussion about tsr because most of us use it for revision etc. and most of them said that people use it to flaunt their grades and treat a grade 7 like a failure. just wanted to know what you guys thought about tsr lmao
nnth
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by lxsl.ey)
Sooo during form prep period, my class had a discussion about tsr because most of us use it for revision etc. and most of them said that people use it to flaunt their grades and treat a grade 7 like a failure. just wanted to know what you guys thought about tsr lmao
People don't just use it to flaunt their grades. They also use it to get help about the smallest issues they're facing in life, ask for help over different questions, and socialize with other TSR members through similar talking topics and games.
Last edited by nnth; 1 week ago
chocobi
Badges: 12
Report 1 week ago
Well my friend at my school absolutely detests TSR and thinks it's full of weirdos
nnth
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by chocobi)
Well my friend at my school absolutely detests TSR and thinks it's full of weirdos
Yeah, like you and I
PinkMobilePhone
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
TSR isn't particularly representative of the general student body, as most people who gravitate towards TSR are naturally interested in studying and obtaining decent grades.
There are a great many other students out there who aren't bothered about studying, or maybe struggle academically and feel that high grades are unobtainable and are therefore resigned to just entering work as quickly as possible without going on to further education. These students are unlikely to have much of an interest in TSR.

As for TSR itself, it has a lot of useful information, although you do have to remember that when you ask a question in the forum, it's not always going to be answered by someone knowledgeable, so you have to take the forum responses with a pinch of salt and back up every answer you get with your own research. Often the responses serve as a good starting point to answering your questions though.

The non-forum parts of the site are informative and helpful, and more reliable!

From a social point of view, it can sometimes just be good to connect with other people who might be studying your course, or going through a similar situation that you're in. Just in general, bouncing ideas off other people is good for mental wellbeing, as you can feel isolated otherwise.

There definitely are daft threads on TSR sometimes, but isn't that the same with any social media? TSR has always had daft threads. In amongst the daft threads are a lot of decent ones.

Yes it's also true that some people just like to brag about their grades, however I may be controversial when I say this, but I think it's good to be proud of yourself. Sure the validation from strangers might not mean much in the real world, but if someone has worked hard and achieved high grades, if they want to post about it I think it's pretty deserved. Look at it objectively - some people may not have many people in real life to congratulate them. You can't know everybody's life circumstances. Parents aren't always supportive. Friends might just be jealous and snide. If someone wants to tell the world via TSR that they did well, then so be it, they've earned a few words of congratulations if you ask me.
The whole "I got a 7, am I failure?" looks like a humble brag, but on the flip side, maybe this person doesn't get praised for their achievements at home. Maybe it's a case of "you must get TOP grades, OR ELSE" from their parents?
We can't possibly know.
And even if it IS a humble brag - so what? It's no biggie.

I've been on TSR for 17 years. There are actually far less daft threads than there used to be. Grade bragging hasn't changed but it doesn't bother me. In general the site has grown with its non-forum resources, and is well respected in the education industry.

It's not to everyone's taste. None of my kids use TSR, they feel there's no need, and that's okay too. It's personal choice.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (120)
57.42%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (24)
11.48%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (25)
11.96%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (17)
8.13%
I haven't started researching yet (11)
5.26%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (12)
5.74%

Watched Threads