Life experience that demonstrates commitment to equality and inclusion?

Watch
RatLadyy
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
“Describe a life experience that demonstrates your commitment to the principles of equality and inclusion”

What sort of things would you write about this specific question? I’m applying for a job but I’m having trouble narrowing down any experiences I’ve had in life.
RatLadyy
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Bumpity bump?
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by RatLadyy)
Bumpity bump?
I'd not apply for an employer who asked that question - indeed, I have jacked in an application when asked that - but I understand that you may not be in that position.

I'd say that you have no specific life experience in terms of an event, it's embedded unconsciously in your regular behaviour because it's an intrinsic belief.
RatLadyy
Rep:
(Original post by threeportdrift)
I'd not apply for an employer who asked that question - indeed, I have jacked in an application when asked that - but I understand that you may not be in that position.

I'd say that you have no specific life experience in terms of an event, it's embedded unconsciously in your regular behaviour because it's an intrinsic belief.
As I’m deaf, I thought about discussing experiences of discrimination and how that made me more committed to the principles. I don’t think that’s what they’re looking for though.
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
As I’m deaf, I thought about discussing experiences of discrimination and how that made me more committed to the principles. I don’t think that’s what they’re looking for though.
And that’s rather the point - it’s a question set from a white, ableist perspective.

Maybe give them an answer that shows how you make allowances for hearing people who talk at you like you had the comprehension of a child, or who dismiss you as too difficult to talk to. Turn the tables on the presumptions behind the question.

Or, if you aren’t grumpy like me, then your idea is absolutely fine. It isn’t what they were expecting only because they didn’t view the questions through the lens of someone that suffered from discrimination or marginalisation.
Surnia
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Don't know why everyone is getting so riled up by this question; we don't even know who you are applying to, so it may be pertinent. It's not a 'white ableist' thing at all and could be more to do with being able to recognise how certain situations affect people and if/how you address them.

It can be as simple as proposing something that makes life easier for certain people. As a football supporter who sometimes takes a wheelchair user to matches, I have contacted clubs about problems with parking and the view at the ground, which have been taken on board and improvements made.

As you are deaf, have you ever done anything to ask or campaign for a change to be made? Done anything specific for a charity?
RatLadyy
Rep:
(Original post by Surnia)
Don't know why everyone is getting so riled up by this question; we don't even know who you are applying to, so it may be pertinent. It's not a 'white ableist' thing at all and could be more to do with being able to recognise how certain situations affect people and if/how you address them.

It can be as simple as proposing something that makes life easier for certain people. As a football supporter who sometimes takes a wheelchair user to matches, I have contacted clubs about problems with parking and the view at the ground, which have been taken on board and improvements made.

As you are deaf, have you ever done anything to ask or campaign for a change to be made? Done anything specific for a charity?
I volunteer for a Deaf children’s charity, I was in a young campaigning group for that. I interpreted the question to discuss 1 life experience, so I didn’t discuss it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (39)
9.68%
Okay (119)
29.53%
A bit lacking (153)
37.97%
Not good at all (92)
22.83%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise