Can I play loud music in student accommodation?

Watch
Rdog21
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Yyyy
Last edited by Rdog21; 1 week ago
Mr Wednesday
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Rdog21)
Am I just being a d!ck about this ......
Yes, get some head phones if you want to melt your inner ear, other peoples space is theirs, not yours to intrude on.
Last edited by Mr Wednesday; 1 week ago
Anonymous #1
Report 1 week ago
just buy some headphones. they don’t have to be expensive. maybe people just don’t have the same taste as you but they’re trying to study
McGinger
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
They dont like it - you live with them, so be considerate.
And btw , if they make a complaint about you, you could loose your accommodation - think about it.
heart2you
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Rdog21)
I’m in student t accommodation at uni of Exeter and have 4 other people in my flat. We get along great and go out every night, but one point of contention developing is my music/loudness.

Whenever the person in the room next to me has messaged asking me to turn my music down, I’ve been completely fine with that as those times have been at night etc and I understand that. But it’s becoming more of an issue.

Today I was listening to music at 6:45PM and he messaged telling me to turn it down. This Annoyed me because 1) I was listening to chill music (Lucy Dacus) so it was hardly disturbing and 2) it’s the evening I should be able to play music. It wasn’t even on full volume it was 7 on my echo! And the other day he asked me to turn my music off at 3pm on a Saturday.

It’s starting to piss me off because I don’t mind being accommodating but at the same time I pay for this room I should be able to listen to music at an acceptable time in the evening.

Am I just being a d!ck about this or am I right to be annoyed? I’m not sure what other peoples experiences are like in halls.
well you'd be surprised how thin the walls are! I don't go to exeter uni but in my flat at my uni I can hear when my flatmates are blowdrying their hair in their room, even when they're on the other side of the flat to me. I can even hear the people in the room directly above me talking and playing music. So your flatmate might be hearing your music quite clearly, even if you don't think it's that loud. I know it might be annoying to you but it's also annoying to them. If you want to listen to music then just wear headphones or something - it's not like you can't EVER listen to music, just be respectful to others.
StriderHort
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
No, loud music 'rights' are for people with their own properties/control and thicker walls and floors. You essentially live in a glorified hostel so a lot less rights.
KSJ2082
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I can only presume that you’ve never lived away from home before?
I presume that where you live now let’s you do what you like without complaint ?
Welcome to the Adult World - it involves responsibility and consideration of others.
It means not being self-centred and realising that the world doesn’t revolve around you .
It means thinking of others who may need quiet to study as they are there to get somewhere in life and take their study seriously!
In short - NOOOOOOO ! Get headphones!
Chronoscope
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
You could but you won’t be very popular
My flatmate neighbour in halls last year only played Elvis. Every. Single. Day. I got sick of it and it did my head in.
I now dislike hate Elvis music
Last edited by Chronoscope; 1 week ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (193)
55.46%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (49)
14.08%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (39)
11.21%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (32)
9.2%
I haven't started researching yet (20)
5.75%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (15)
4.31%

Watched Threads