The Student Room Group

Computer Science Degree

I am a UK student currently studying towards my A-levels. My chosen subjects are chemistry, physics, maths and further maths and my predicted grades are A*AAA. I would like to know whether these grades are good enough as I know computer science is a competitive course. Also I would like to know how much GCSE influence successful applications as I am concerned that the fact that I got 5s in English lit, English lang and German could affect my chances. My overall GCSE results were 99988887555.
You need to look at Comp Sci courses at a range of different Unis to see what their entry requirements are - they will all be different.

A few things to be aware of ....
No degree course requires more than 3 A levels - and a 4th one will not give you any advantage.
Whilst Unis may ask for some specific GCSE grades (typically English and Maths), any 'score' they give you for your overall GCSE profile will be very small and it wont be a deal breaker - your A level predictions and PS are FAR more important.
Original post by Dylan8421
I am a UK student currently studying towards my A-levels. My chosen subjects are chemistry, physics, maths and further maths and my predicted grades are A*AAA. I would like to know whether these grades are good enough as I know computer science is a competitive course. Also I would like to know how much GCSE influence successful applications as I am concerned that the fact that I got 5s in English lit, English lang and German could affect my chances. My overall GCSE results were 99988887555.

Your grades will be fine for nearly all universities. You only need 3 A levels. Universities only look at 3. You might have difficulties getting into somewhere like Imperial but the vast majority of universities will accept you with A*AA. Most will accept with grade 5 in English Language for CS courses but you need to check the entry requirements of any university that you are interested in. Nobody will be concerned about your English Lit grade and only UCL has a foreign language requirement but you will probably meet that and there are ways around it anyway.

Here is Baths requirement
A*AA in three A levels including Mathematics. GSCE requirements: GCSE English grade C or 4.

Birminghams
A level - AAA

A level Mathematics grade A required.
Reply 3
Do you think I would have the same chance at getting into better universities if I were to drop chemistry and get my teachers to change my predicted grades to A*A*A/A*A*A*. Because I think that not doing chemistry would greatly help my chances at getting these higher grades.
Do you think I would have the same chance at getting into better universities if I were to drop chemistry and get my teachers to change my predicted grades to A*A*A/A*A*A*. Because I think that not doing chemistry would greatly help my chances at getting these higher grades.

It isnt just about predicted grades. It is about what will achieve in the exam. When you say better universities what do you mean. Imperial makes offers to 1 in 20 so you are unlikely to get in. Other than perhaps Oxbridge and Imperial what is much better than Bath. Obviously the higher your predicted grades the better the chance of getting an offer but you then have to meet that offer and the very top universities tend not to accept dropped grades. Just bumping up grades to get an offer really isnt the answer.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by swanseajack1
It isnt just about predicted grades. It is about what will achieve in the exam. When you say better universities what do you mean. Imperial makes offers to 1 in 20 so you are unlikely to get in. Other than perhaps Oxbridge and Imperial what is much better than Bath. Obviously the higher your predicted grades the better the chance of getting an offer but you then have to meet that offer and the very top universities tend not to accept dropped grades. Just bumping up grades to get an offer really isnt the answer.

Sorry, I meant as in if i were to drop chem I think i would be able to get these grades in the actual exam as my revision will be more focused, i was just wondering if FM counts as a third a level and whether there have been successful applicants in the past who have had the same A levels.
For Computer Science Further Maths would normally count as a 3rd subject. Off hand I dont know if students have got in but somewhere like Imperial or Cambridge for CS is extremely competitive and it is unlikely that you will get in. However there is nothing stopping you try as long as you have other realistic options. Outside these there isnt likely to be anywhere much better than Bath. You can check whatever other universities you are interested in and see their entry requirements.
Reply 7
For Computer Science Further Maths would normally count as a 3rd subject. Off hand I dont know if students have got in but somewhere like Imperial or Cambridge for CS is extremely competitive and it is unlikely that you will get in. However there is nothing stopping you try as long as you have other realistic options. Outside these there isnt likely to be anywhere much better than Bath. You can check whatever other universities you are interested in and see their entry requirements.

I'm not interested Cambridge or imperial. I would like to go to one where the grades are at least 3As preferably. I'm just asking whether it is worth me doing chem to get A*AAA or just dropping it and getting A*A*A. Because I think to me that if i dropped chem I would have a much easier chance to get an A* in physics. I just want to know that if i did drop chem, how would it affect my application vs someone who has 4 a levels applyng for the same course.
I'm not interested Cambridge or imperial. I would like to go to one where the grades are at least 3As preferably. I'm just asking whether it is worth me doing chem to get A*AAA or just dropping it and getting A*A*A. Because I think to me that if i dropped chem I would have a much easier chance to get an A* in physics. I just want to know that if i did drop chem, how would it affect my application vs someone who has 4 a levels applyng for the same course.

Nearly all universities for all subjects make offers on 3 grades. There are a couple of courses in Imperial where they make offers on 4 A levels if you take 4. Many schools only allow their students to take 3 subjects so you will not be at a disadvantage. In fact taking only 3 subjects is recommended. There will perhaps be a few universities asking for A*A*A but the vast majority of leading universities wil ask for A*AA or AAA like I showed and most dont ask above grade 4 for English Language but you do need to check the entry requirements. I quoted Bath and Birmingham as they were the first 2 top universities on UCAS course search.

Competition to get into universities is not as intense as you think. Most universities, other than a few, make offers to around 80% of those who apply. It is usually higher than that for most courses as these figures are inflated because of demand for places in areas like Medicine. In most universities and courses if you meet or are just below the published grades, have the correct subjects and GCSE requirements and a decent PS you are far more likely to be made an offer than being rejected.

This is Bristol's entry requirement for CS
Typical offer for BSc Computer Science - applicants must meet one of the following
A-level
Standard offer A*AA including A* in Mathematics
Reply 9
Nearly all universities for all subjects make offers on 3 grades. There are a couple of courses in Imperial where they make offers on 4 A levels if you take 4. Many schools only allow their students to take 3 subjects so you will not be at a disadvantage. In fact taking only 3 subjects is recommended. There will perhaps be a few universities asking for A*A*A but the vast majority of leading universities wil ask for A*AA or AAA like I showed and most dont ask above grade 4 for English Language but you do need to check the entry requirements. I quoted Bath and Birmingham as they were the first 2 top universities on UCAS course search.

Competition to get into universities is not as intense as you think. Most universities, other than a few, make offers to around 80% of those who apply. It is usually higher than that for most courses as these figures are inflated because of demand for places in areas like Medicine. In most universities and courses if you meet or are just below the published grades, have the correct subjects and GCSE requirements and a decent PS you are far more likely to be made an offer than being rejected.

This is Bristol's entry requirement for CS
Typical offer for BSc Computer Science - applicants must meet one of the following
A-level
Standard offer A*AA including A* in Mathematics

So I could drop chem and defiantly get A*A*A but if I dont drop chem I think I would end up with A*AAA and have 10 extra hours of lessons. What would you recommended I do, I will be applying to 5 CS courses.
So I could drop chem and defiantly get A*A*A but if I dont drop chem I think I would end up with A*AAA and have 10 extra hours of lessons. What would you recommended I do, I will be applying to 5 CS courses.

I would drop Chemistry. Takjng 4 A levels isnt advisable but that is your choice. Once you have completed your ucas application and stated 4 subjects you would have to get each universities agreement to drop one as you have basically entered into a contract with them and they based any offer on 4 A levels. It is highly unlikely they would object though but they could withdraw or replace an offer

Quick Reply

Latest