Lara2021
Badges: 6
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
Has anyone done OCR A-level History? If so, would you recommend it?
AB54321_
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 7 months ago
It depends on what modules you chose. Like my teachers chose “Spanish history” and there were hardly any resources on it. Imo, don’t do it. It’s boring, not worth the stress
econhelp525
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 7 months ago
Yes, I did it. I think its the hardest of the examboards.

For your non-UK history paper, it's a one hour long paper consisting of a 10 mark and 20 mark essay question. It's hard. The world history module has a *lot* of content, all for a one hour paper!

OCR appears to be the only exam board to require analysis and evaluation of FOUR sources, compared to three in e.g. AQA for the British History paper. It's incredibly stressful because you're expected to write to the same standard, but more! If I recall correctly, this paper has a 30 mark sources question (nightmare!), and a 20 mark essay question. Only 1hr30 to answer as well.

Then you have your thematic paper, which is like over two hours long. This is also quite difficult lol.

However, redeeming quality is that for your coursework, you have a lot of freedom. There is no penalization for writing a lot, i.e. no word limit.

History A-Level in general is hard. OCR has rigid grade boundaries that don't change much, they're pretty much the same every year. Like, 72% ish for an A and 82% ish for an A*. The numbers are odd because for the papers, it's generally 70% for an A, 80% for an A*, but the coursework its 90% for an A*, 80% for an A, and so forth.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (8)
22.86%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (3)
8.57%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (4)
11.43%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (3)
8.57%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (8)
22.86%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (9)
25.71%

Watched Threads