The Student Room Group

Is it possible to work while studying aerospace engineering?

Hello I am doing aerospace engineering at uni and I am currently in my first year.

I would like to have a job (the one I’m looking at right now is 6 hours a week).
I was just wondering if it is possible or is it a bad idea?

Thank you 😊
6 hours a week is possible but it will be tough. A typical week in an engineering course will consist of 15-20 hours of lectures and 15-20 hours of labs and then there is the hours and hours of private study so fitting in 6 hours of part time work will be tough
Original post by Anonymous
Hello I am doing aerospace engineering at uni and I am currently in my first year.

I would like to have a job (the one I’m looking at right now is 6 hours a week).

Thank you 😊

6 hours is fine, especially in first-year.

Thank you 😊

Hi!

I would speak to your tutor about contact hours and how much you should be studying and go from there. In my experience, most students get a part-time job and 6 hours sounds average and something you can workaround.

I hope this helps!
Best wishes
Chloe - Official Student Rep :smile:

Thank you 😊

Hi there,

I hope you're well.

This really is such a personal decision, and is all about time management - can you make up the hours by waking up an hour earlier or going to sleep an hour later? What I would recommend is making a list of all the positives and negatives of having the job, and taking it from there.

If you are looking for jobs, and really want one, have a look and see if there are any jobs available through your University. University's are quite good employers for their existing students as often the jobs are for term-time roles only, and the hours can be really flexible :biggrin:

I hope this has given you something to think about! Best of luck to you in your search...

Ana
University of Liverpool Rep :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending