Is it possible to work while studying aerospace engineering?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hello I am doing aerospace engineering at uni and I am currently in my first year.

I would like to have a job (the one I’m looking at right now is 6 hours a week).
I was just wondering if it is possible or is it a bad idea?

Thank you 😊
mike23mike
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
6 hours a week is possible but it will be tough. A typical week in an engineering course will consist of 15-20 hours of lectures and 15-20 hours of labs and then there is the hours and hours of private study so fitting in 6 hours of part time work will be tough
Blue_Cow
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hello I am doing aerospace engineering at uni and I am currently in my first year.

I would like to have a job (the one I’m looking at right now is 6 hours a week).

Thank you 😊
6 hours is fine, especially in first-year.
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago

Thank you 😊
Hi!

I would speak to your tutor about contact hours and how much you should be studying and go from there. In my experience, most students get a part-time job and 6 hours sounds average and something you can workaround.

I hope this helps!
Best wishes
Chloe - Official Student Rep
University of Liverpool Student Rep
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago

Thank you 😊
Hi there,

I hope you're well.

This really is such a personal decision, and is all about time management - can you make up the hours by waking up an hour earlier or going to sleep an hour later? What I would recommend is making a list of all the positives and negatives of having the job, and taking it from there.

If you are looking for jobs, and really want one, have a look and see if there are any jobs available through your University. University's are quite good employers for their existing students as often the jobs are for term-time roles only, and the hours can be really flexible

I hope this has given you something to think about! Best of luck to you in your search...

Ana
University of Liverpool Rep
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (193)
55.3%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (49)
14.04%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (40)
11.46%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (32)
9.17%
I haven't started researching yet (20)
5.73%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (15)
4.3%

Watched Threads