my son is the first year bio and he wants to transfer to dentistry confused

Watch this thread
Alsebai
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
any body who has this can reply to me please my son is the first year bio and he wants to transfer to dentistry but his un dont do dentistry how can he transfer and is studunt finance cover the loan please I need a quick advice and I am too confused
ecolier
Badges: 22
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Alsebai)
any body who has this can reply to me please my son is the first year bio and he wants to transfer to dentistry but his un dont do dentistry how can he transfer and is studunt finance cover the loan please I need a quick advice and I am too confused
Not everywhere can "transfer" into medicine or dentistry, there has to be a pre-determined, pre-arranged route (e.g. SGUL has a transfer scheme to Medicine).

If there isn't a pre-arranged route (usually very well advertised in the uni / course brochure) then your options are:
(1) drop out and reapply to medicine / dentistry or
(2) finish and apply to grad entry medicine / dentistry.

Both are not easy decisions, and you'd have to to consider carefully what you want to do.
Alsebai
Rep:
(Original post by ecolier)
Not everywhere can "transfer" into medicine or dentistry, there has to be a pre-determined, pre-arranged route (e.g. SGUL has a transfer scheme to Medicine).

If there isn't a pre-arranged route (usually very well advertised in the uni / course brochure) then your options are:
(1) drop out and reapply to medicine / dentistry or
(2) finish and apply to grad entry medicine / dentistry.

Both are not easy decisions, and you'd have to to consider carefully what you want to do.
thanks for the info however he called different unis asking them if he can transfer from the first year of biomedical but they said you have to be our bio student so u can apply to out dentistry route. the uni he’s in now doesnt do dentisty which make it harder for him to transfer
Mesopotamian.
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 8 months ago
thanks for the info however he called different unis asking them if he can transfer from the first year of biomedical but they said you have to be our bio student so u can apply to out dentistry route. the uni he’s in now doesnt do dentisty which make it harder for him to transfer
Which is essentially what ecolier said - there has to be a pre-arranged route first. Since your son doesn’t have that option, his remaining options are the two that were highlighted above.
ecolier
Rep:
Report 8 months ago
So, as I said you either (1) quit the course and apply to 1st year standard undergrad dent or (2) complete the course and apply to graduate entry dent.

You can't transfer otherwise.
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 8 months ago
As eccolier said he'll have to carry on and do a grad course or drop out and reapply through UCAS.

He can't transfer to another uni now it's too late.
harrysbar
Rep:
Report 8 months ago
You may not know this but Dentistry is hugely competitive and hard to get onto a course.

Your son needs to be realistic and the first step is researching what grades he will need for Dentistry (normally AAA including Biology & Chemistry) in addition to admissions tests. So it is not as simple as simply wanting to transfer to dentistry because he sees it as a better course than his current one.

https://www.dentalschoolscouncil.ac....ments-2022.pdf
Last edited by harrysbar; 8 months ago
Alsebai
Rep:
(Original post by harrysbar)
You may be not know this but Dentistry is hugely competitive and hard to get onto a course.

Your son needs to be realistic and the first step is researching what grades he will need for Dentistry (normally AAA including Biology & Chemistry) in addition to admissions tests. So it is not as simple as simply wanting to transfer to dentistry because he sees it as a better course than his current one.

https://www.dentalschoolscouncil.ac....ments-2022.pdf
yes, however the uni of newcastle told him you can transfer from bio to dentistry in the first yeqr of bimedical but you have to be out student and here is the link of students that are transfierring to dentisry and medicine
https://www.ncl.ac.uk/bns/study-with...ine-dentistry/
my son thinks dropping out this year and then doing one year bio again in their uni so he can transfer to dentistry would be the shortest option and better
Mesopotamian.
Rep:
Report 8 months ago
yes, however the uni of newcastle told him you can transfer from bio to dentistry in the first yeqr of bimedical but you have to be out student and here is the link of students that are transfierring to dentisry and medicine
my son thinks dropping out this year and then doing one year bio again in their uni so he can transfer to dentistry would be the shortest option and better
With all due respect, but that is an incredibly dim decision. Why doesn’t your son just apply directly for dentistry? Why on earth is he choosing the more competitive route with which guarantees him spending £9,250 on another year of tuition fee without the guarantee of the outcome he wants?
harrysbar
Rep:
Report 8 months ago
It's "page not found" but your son has oversimplified what the uni told him, or you have. It is not guaranteed by any means that someone would be able to transfer from Bio to Dentistry at Newcastle, it is simply one possibility for the very best students and will be hugely competitive with no guarantee of success so he could end up stuck on the Biology course there.

Your son would be better off retaking in the Summer if he doesn't have the grades for Dentistry.
Admit-One
Rep:
Report 8 months ago
If it were that easy to transfer from Bio to Dentistry, then everyone would be doing it.
Admit-One
Rep:
Report 8 months ago
I think your son is referring to these kind of transfers:

Key points (emphasis mine):

"Applying -

The scheme is very competitive.

Transfer to Dentistry applications 2020-2021
6 students applied for transfer
4 were invited for interview
1 student received a conditional offer (subject to Semester Two results)"

I would also note that they don't even confirm whether that single student achieved the necessary grades. They may not have gotten on to the course.

As above, I think pinning his hopes on this kind of transfer working out is foolish to say the least. If Dentistry is really his calling, he should apply directly for year 1 entry and/or retake A-Levels if he doesn't already meet the requirements.
Rashid alakkarii
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 8 months ago
I am the son. The problem I did gcse straight away and came with average results and did not manage to do A-levels so I did BTEC science and that’s why I’m taking the biomedical science route instead of going dentistry directly because I need A-levels and my GCSEs results were average like 4 and 5
ecolier
Rep:
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Rashid alakkarii)
I am the son. The problem I did gcse straight away and came with average results and did not manage to do A-levels so I did BTEC science and that’s why I’m taking the biomedical science route instead of going dentistry directly because I need A-levels and my GCSEs results were average like 4 and 5
Retake your GCSEs then, don't think graduate entry dentistry is easier by any means. It's much, much more competitive.
Mesopotamian.
Rep:
Report 8 months ago
You will still need to meet GCSE and A Level (or equivalent) requirements if you take an indirect route into dentistry.
Read: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/uni...-for-dentistry
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/uni...y-requirements
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/uni...es-to-a-levels
Last edited by Mesopotamian.; 8 months ago
Rashid alakkarii
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Admit-One)
I think your son is referring to these kind of transfers:

Key points (emphasis mine):

"Applying -

The scheme is very competitive.

Transfer to Dentistry applications 2020-2021
6 students applied for transfer
4 were invited for interview
1 student received a conditional offer (subject to Semester Two results)"

I would also note that they don't even confirm whether that single student achieved the necessary grades. They may not have gotten on to the course.

As above, I think pinning his hopes on this kind of transfer working out is foolish to say the least. If Dentistry is really his calling, he should apply directly for year 1 entry and/or retake A-Levels if he doesn't already meet the requirements.
I’m the Son. Firstly I did not know any information about the courses as I do in universities especially when I come to dentistry I only knew that you need a level I ask many advisors how can I get to Didsbury was a A-levels and I had Milliways like doing BTEC science and then doing biomedical science in uni transfer from Bio to dentistry my issue here is my uni does not do dentistry and if I need to do dentistry I need to go to uni that Dubai medical and dentistry at the same time so I can transfer because that’s what many unions have told me the Newcastle one is only an example my mum used. So what I need to do is I just need to find what uni accepts me after my one year or three years biomedical science course to qualify as a dentist because I don’t wanna waste one or three years. Biomedical science isn’t really my goal. I have really suffered to come to this stage i’ve heard some students they did the same way as me and they ended up Doing dentistry and medicine in university through BTEC science and biomedical science
harrysbar
Rep:
Report 8 months ago
I’m the Son. Firstly I did not know any information about the courses as I do in universities especially when I come to dentistry I only knew that you need a level I ask many advisors how can I get to Didsbury was a A-levels and I had Milliways like doing BTEC science and then doing biomedical science in uni transfer from Bio to dentistry my issue here is my uni does not do dentistry and if I need to do dentistry I need to go to uni that Dubai medical and dentistry at the same time so I can transfer because that’s what many unions have told me the Newcastle one is only an example my mum used. So what I need to do is I just need to find what uni accepts me after my one year or three years biomedical science course to qualify as a dentist because I don’t wanna waste one or three years. Biomedical science isn’t really my goal. I have really suffered to come to this stage i’ve heard some students they did the same way as me and they ended up Doing dentistry and medicine in university through BTEC science and biomedical science
You are not hearing what well qualified people on here like Ecolier and Admit- One and Mesto are telling you (for free) - the reality of the situation is there is a very small chance someone can transfer from a Biomedical science degree to Dentistry in the UK, especially if they do not meet the usual A level (or equivalent) requirements. Your "advisors" I assume were getting paid so they were not impartial - they were paid to get students into uni in the UK.

You may say you've "heard" of people getting into dentistry and medicine through BTEC Science and Biomedical science but who have you heard it from (is it a reliable source or just hearsay?) and what is the statistical probability? These are questions you should have asked yourself before starting a degree in Biomedical science because if the chance is very small (which it is) then you should have been aware of that before committing to this course.
Last edited by harrysbar; 8 months ago
Admit-One
Rep:
Report 8 months ago
Biomedical science isn’t really my goal. I have really suffered to come to this stage i’ve heard some students they did the same way as me and they ended up Doing dentistry and medicine in university through BTEC science and biomedical science
(Thank you for the kind words harrysbar)

I can't really add any more other that the bit above is really concerning. It is never a good idea to enrol on a course with the objective of transferring out.

a) There is no guarantee that it would be possible. In which case you are either unmotivated and stuck on a 3 year course or drop out and waste a year.
b) You're not going to be especially engaged with the subject, reducing your chances of achieving the required grades even if you do get an offer

A normal transfer is very case by case. The chances of nailing year 1 in a subject you don't care much about, after underperforming for GCSE's and Level 3 quals, and getting through the transfer admissions process are between slim and none.

If it is still something you want to pursue, ignore the advisors. Go straight to the source. Make a list of all Dentistry progs in the UK that you would consider. Call and/or email every one with a summary of your circumstances, (include your GCSE profile and level 3 qualifications). They will be honest about your chances of consideration via this route.
Mesopotamian.
Rep:
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by harrysbar)
You are not hearing what well qualified people on here like Ecolier and Admit- One and Mesto are telling you (for free) - the reality of the situation is there is a very small chance someone can transfer from a Biomedical science degree to Dentistry in the UK, especially if they do not meet the usual A level (or equivalent) requirements. Your "advisors" I assume were getting paid so they were not impartial - they were paid to get students into uni in the UK.

You may say you've "heard" of people getting into dentistry and medicine through BTEC Science and Biomedical science but who have you heard it from (is it a reliable source or just hearsay?) and what is the statistical probability? These are questions you should have asked yourself before starting a degree in Biomedical science because if the chance is very small (which it is) then you should have been aware of that before committing to this course.
PRSOM
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Does school Maths prepare people well enough for the future?

Yes, it gives everyone a good foundation for any future path (2)
33.33%
Somewhat, if your future involves maths/STEM (4)
66.67%
No, it doesn't teach enough practical life skills (0)
0%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (0)
0%

Watched Threads