Nobel Prize: We will not have gender or ethnicity quotas - top scientist

Watch
TCA2b
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by The RAR)
There is literally no prejudice involved. Females are often more emotional than males, so females are more likely to peruse fields that are based more on emotions such as the humanities.
If a woman wants to be a writer let her, if a woman wants to be an astronaut let her. There is no need to crush other people's dreams just to fill in woke agendas.
Or if they don't want to go straight into university, or into a career, but would prefer to prioritise having kids, that should be a choice, too. I think this approach ends up reducing to: because there's discrepancies in fields, therefore there must be some form of prejudice, so instead of just considering these possibilities, it's a case of we need to rebuild the entire field to get more women in... who may or may not even want to follow that career path.
Last edited by TCA2b; 6 days ago
Mesopotamian.
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by Lucifer323)
Some professions seem to be encouraged for males and discouraged for females and vice versa. Example: the one I gave you above.
And another example what you have given me however I will put more emphasis on primary schools where it's very unlikely that you see male teachers.

Is it due to prejudice as discussed above.
Is it due to the discouragement in schools where let's female students are not encouraged to follow specific professions
Inability males & females have to perform on some professions

Or a combination of all the above and other factors?
This idea that “females are not encouraged into certain subjects/ careers” has always been a little far fetched to me. I have never once encountered anyone telling me I shouldn’t do physics or that I shouldn’t consider engineering or that those subject areas aren’t suited to me because of my gender. In fact, the first time I came across this was on the internet.

I decided to take physics at A Level and never once gave even the slightest consideration that there would be more males in the classroom than females. Was there more males? Yes. Did I care? No. Did I drop physics because there were more males and I felt discouraged to do it? No. Did I drop it out of my own choice, completely independent of my gender? Yes.

Of course, there may be some people who are unfortunately discouraged from certain subjects or career pathways thanks to archaic thinking, but from my own experience, it’s not as big a problem as people make it out to be online. On the contrary, for at least the last 10 years (but for sure more), females have been encouraged to enter the sciences and it’s been tedious (and at times, downright patronising) having to sit through people lecturing me about what I should aspire to do based on my gender. I’ll do what I want, thank you.
Last edited by Mesopotamian.; 6 days ago
Lucifer323
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by Mesopotamian.)
This idea that “females are not encouraged into certain subjects/ careers” has always been a little far fetched to me. I have never once encountered anyone telling me I shouldn’t do physics or that I shouldn’t consider engineering or that those subject areas aren’t suited to me because of my gender. In fact, the first time I came across this was on the internet.

I decided to take physics at A Level and never once gave even the slightest consideration that there would be more males in the classroom than females. Was there more males? Yes. Did I care? No. Did I drop physics because there were more males and I felt discouraged to do it? No. Did I drop it out of my own choice, completely independent of my gender? Yes.

Of course, there may be some people who are unfortunately discouraged from certain subjects or career pathways thanks to archaic thinking, but from my own experience, it’s not as big a problem as people make it out to be online. On the contrary, for at least the last 10 years (but for sure more), females have been encouraged to enter the sciences and it’s been tedious (and at times, downright patronising) having to sit through people lecturing me about what I should aspire to do based on my gender. I’ll do what I want, thank you.
For the last part of your message you are correct. In the last decade there is a political campaign to involve more women in academia, in science, engineering, and all other related professions. There is a serious issue however when politics are involved.
All.appoitments, merits, grants, scholarships, job offers, apprenticeships, etc should be made on the basis of merits and not gender, race or connections. Because the last part plays an important aspect of many selection processes.

The first part of your message though isn't correct. Traditionally women have not been encouraged nor they have been considered to be as able to hold positions or work in physics, engineering, and all other related subjects. That's why all these areas are male dominated.

And vice versa for social sciences or teaching in primary schools for example.
Mesopotamian.
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by Lucifer323)
For the last part of your message you are correct. In the last decade there is a political campaign to involve more women in academia, in science, engineering, and all other related professions. There is a serious issue however when politics are involved.
All.appoitments, merits, grants, scholarships, job offers, apprenticeships, etc should be made on the basis of merits and not gender, race or connections. Because the last part plays an important aspect of many selection processes.

The first part of your message though isn't correct. Traditionally women have not been encouraged nor they have been considered to be as able to hold positions or work in physics, engineering, and all other related subjects. That's why all these areas are male dominated.

And vice versa for social sciences or teaching in primary schools for example.
I agree that in the past women haven’t been encouraged to enter certain fields, but how long are we going to stay in the past? It’s certainly not been the case in this century (I’m talking generally about the U.K. obviously, not elsewhere in the world which I cannot comment about).
miser
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
I think it's only partially a problem for schools and universities. There's only so much they can do, and right now they're trying to "solve" it by masking it with their own diversity quotas.

I remember in my college IT course, it was all guys and one girl. That girl was teased relentlessly by the loud mouth boy racer types and no surprises she quit. The environment was definitely a failing of the college - they should have come down hard on that. But the college isn't responsible for only 1 girl being interested in IT - it's basically taken on faith that if you give people completely free opportunities and support, that there'll be an even split in every discipline across genders and race. That assumption is fundamentally questionable because we already know the blank slate model of psychology is wrong.
Last edited by miser; 6 days ago
imlikeahermit
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by 04MR17)
Thank you for your opinion, since that is all I am reading here. I indicated nothing about crushed dreams or agendas.
Lmao. There is nothing opinionated about that; it’s fact. Women are more emotional than men are, just as men are physically stronger. That still doesn’t stop women from pursuing any career they wish. Your reply reads as “I’ve got no response to that amount of common sense.”
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by imlikeahermit)
Lmao. There is nothing opinionated about that; it’s fact. Women are more emotional than men are, just as men are physically stronger. That still doesn’t stop women from pursuing any career they wish. Your reply reads as “I’ve got no response to that amount of common sense.”
There is plenty of opinion, and please don't put words in my mouth.
imlikeahermit
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
There is plenty of opinion, and please don't put words in my mouth.
I’m not. It’s what it comes across as. To your first point, it’s not opinion, it’s fact. Women are more emotional, just like men are stronger. Why do you have such an issue with basic biology?
04MR17
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
I’m not. It’s what it comes across as. To your first point, it’s not opinion, it’s fact. Women are more emotional, just like men are stronger. Why do you have such an issue with basic biology?
Repeating a statement without any substantiation doesn't make it a fact. Claiming it's "basic" comes across as a lazier version of finding a source.
imlikeahermit
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Repeating a statement without any substantiation doesn't make it a fact. Claiming it's "basic" comes across as a lazier version of finding a source.
Likewise, playing dumb about such basic things comes across as even lazier in my book.
04MR17
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Likewise, playing dumb about such basic things comes across as even lazier in my book.
I will not be continuing this conversation if you wish to call me dumb.
imlikeahermit
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
I will not be continuing this conversation if you wish to call me dumb.
It’s basic biology that women are more emotional, and that men are genetically stronger, is it not?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (157)
54.9%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (42)
14.69%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (32)
11.19%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (26)
9.09%
I haven't started researching yet (16)
5.59%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (13)
4.55%

Watched Threads