Black scientists say UK research is institutionally racist

Watch
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
So their entire basis for calling it err 'institutionally racist' seems to be that she didnt get a job. I suppose it never occurred to her that there were simply better candidates out there. Plenty of white people have the same problem of being highly qualified and not getting the job they want yet i dont see similar complaining being the norm there.
Its a bit of a shame really as it does little but undermine any support for any existing problems, not made up ones, where people simply default to blaming supposed racism for their own personal problems and failings.
There may well be issues at some institutions where people arent hired based on race but given her entire evidence to support this is 'my friends got a job and i didnt and they happened to be white' is somewhat less than convincing in terms of it being grounded in reality and not her simply being salty.

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-58795079
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
The number of times I've heard disgrunted job applicants turn accusatory, thuggish & foul mouthed or start ranting conspiracy theorist idiocy as soon as they experience rejection or a small setback. :sigh:
Whether the accusation relates to: age, biological sex, educational background, health, looks, nationality, race, regionality, religion, social class or something else.
So many of them deserve to spend the rest of their lives out of work and stacking shelves or doing the tidying up in the back of charity shops in exchange for continuing access to welfare funded no frills accomodation or weekly/monthly cash payments.
Joleee
Badges: 19
?
Report 1 week ago
if you're a scientist with a PhD you should know your opinion doesn't really matter much; what matters is evidence backed with sources, so if you make a claim that there's institutional racism (and maybe there is; i would have no idea cuz i've never researched it :dontknow:) you should be able to point to the root of said institutional racism with an authoritative source. as far as i can tell all we know from this article is that black scientists are least likely to get a professor post and white scientists most likely; but any scientist knows correlation =/= causation. who knows tho, maybe it wasn't Dr Scarlett's idea to throw that in there and this could just be another example of BBC's lazy journalism.

right so black postgraduate students are most likely to drop out of studying science and far more than whites: that would be something to look into and develop more; like is there a sociological reason for that which may be rooted in historically racist institutions (just throwing that out there idk so don't ask me)? if there are more dropouts surely then that will indeed affect how many black scientists are in a professor post because there will be less applicants to choose from.
HansLuben
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
A clear case of racism, unfortunate to see so many in this thread not supporting Diversity & Inclusion™.
Starship Trooper
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
She "was told she would not fit in" oh dear I wonder why?

She'll probably sue these places for millions and win- let the grift continue!
englishhopeful98
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
or maybe they had just decided that they didn't want to do it anymore
caravaggio2
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Imagine if you are constantly told that you are held back in everything you do, that none of your failings or short comings are your fault or you just aren't up to that particular mark, or weren't successful on this occasion..I think I would see disadvantage everywhere too.
TCA2b
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by caravaggio2)
Imagine if you are constantly told that you are held back in everything you do, that none of your failings or short comings are your fault or you just aren't up to that particular mark, or weren't successful on this occasion..I think I would see disadvantage everywhere too.
In some cases, one might even go fishing for it...
Talkative Toad
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
I'm sorry but why couldn't she ask why she "wouldn't fit in" to verify whether her not getting the job has anything to do with institutional racism or not? Like I just don't get it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (156)
54.74%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (42)
14.74%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (32)
11.23%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (26)
9.12%
I haven't started researching yet (16)
5.61%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (13)
4.56%

Watched Threads