Not interested in any of the societies at my Uni, what do I do?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I'm honestly not interested in any of the societies at my Uni, but I still wanna meet people so what do I do?
ROTL94
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Get a job and meet people at/through work.
Francesca22
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I'm honestly not interested in any of the societies at my Uni, but I still wanna meet people so what do I do?
Start your own society, about what your interested in. Most societies are student run, so it is possible. Go to the student union office to find out more.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by ROTL94)
Get a job and meet people at/through work.
Wont really meet much people around my age at a job though. Plus, I'm not sure if I can be bothered right now, negl. Probably will after Christmas though.

(Original post by Francesca22)
Start your own society, about what your interested in. Most societies are student run, so it is possible. Go to the student union office to find out more.
You have to have other people to start it with you though. I don't have anyone to start one with, plus I can't think of something I'd wanna start myself.
Trinculo
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Unless you are at a niche college like Courtauld or something, or a really small university I really struggle to believe that there are no socs you are interested. If that really is the case, I suspect that it won't really matter what socs are on offer - the issue is with you.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Trinculo)
Unless you are at a niche college like Courtauld or something, or a really small university I really struggle to believe that there are no socs you are interested. If that really is the case, I suspect that it won't really matter what socs are on offer - the issue is with you.
How is it with me? I know plenty of people that haven't signed up for any of the societies. The only ones I'd even consider are the sport ones where its filled with tryhards, e.g. basketball. Can't really be bothered with that and there's none others that I'm interested in the slightest.
RealSexhaver69
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Join some that your kinda interested or at the very least not interested in, if the people there are good than it should be fine if not you can just never come again
Trinculo
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
How is it with me? I know plenty of people that haven't signed up for any of the societies. The only ones I'd even consider are the sport ones where its filled with tryhards, e.g. basketball. Can't really be bothered with that and there's none others that I'm interested in the slightest.
Of course it's on you. You can't think of anything that would interest you and you can't be bothered to try. What you want is to have entertainment laid out for you on a plate, but you can't even describe what that is.

Essentially, you are complaining that there is nothing interesting on offer, but you don't know what it is that would interest you. This is Greta Thunberg psychology. You don't know what you want, but you're quite willing to complain about what you don't want.
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hi,

You could try meeting people on your course, maybe in seminars or tutorials which are normally smaller than lectures so it will be easy to meet people. Also, this way you're regularly seeing the same people so again it's easier. I'm not sure if you're living alone or not, but if you have housemates or neighbours, that could be another potential way to meet people! If your uni has weekly uni-wide social events maybe go to those as well. Hope this helps. All the best.

Samantha, Official UoP Rep
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Trinculo)
Of course it's on you. You can't think of anything that would interest you and you can't be bothered to try. What you want is to have entertainment laid out for you on a plate, but you can't even describe what that is.

Essentially, you are complaining that there is nothing interesting on offer, but you don't know what it is that would interest you. This is Greta Thunberg psychology. You don't know what you want, but you're quite willing to complain about what you don't want.
I know what would interest me but the main problem are that theres too much people that take it seriously e.g. basketball. I don't want that, I just want to have fun playing it. I know someone who went to the basketball one and he was saying that everyone was taking it too seriously. Cam't be bothered with that. So I guess that's debunked your claim.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by University of Portsmouth Student Rep)
Hi,

You could try meeting people on your course, maybe in seminars or tutorials which are normally smaller than lectures so it will be easy to meet people. Also, this way you're regularly seeing the same people so again it's easier. I'm not sure if you're living alone or not, but if you have housemates or neighbours, that could be another potential way to meet people! If your uni has weekly uni-wide social events maybe go to those as well. Hope this helps. All the best.

Samantha, Official UoP Rep
Housemates have their own friends, don't know any neighbours and I'm not even sure if we have tutorials really at my Uni. Seminars are next week so it's my last chance I guess.
University of Liverpool Student Rep
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hi there,

I'm sorry to hear that you're not interested in any of the societies at your university

I actually made some great friends through volunteering with my University, so I'd advise looking into different volunteering opportunities your University offers. This won't only help your friend-hunt, but it will also be something great to add onto your CV There are usually a lot of chances to get involved with different things, and they're usually advertised on your University's SU pages.

I hope that's helpful!

Ana
University of Liverpool Rep
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (193)
55.46%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (49)
14.08%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (39)
11.21%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (32)
9.2%
I haven't started researching yet (20)
5.75%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (15)
4.31%

Watched Threads