Ellie98.
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi All,
Is anyone here studying a this course at the University of West London? I am studying it since Feb 2021 and I have spotted that the Uni Seminars are going down when it comes to the quality of teaching. It worries me as I spend a lot of money on the course and sacrifice a lot to be able to participate in it. I have recently checked the rankings of my university and the rankings of future prospects after finishing the degree there and it doesn't look good. I am also worried that I won't be able to learn and develop in a way that would let me start a good career after graduating (I have read a lot of comments of students regretting choosing the UWL). I am loosing sleep right know because of it and find myself depressed over it. What would you do in my situation?
ajj2000
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
February is an unusual time to start? Are you doing an undergrad degree? UK or international? What grades did you have from high school?
Ellie98.
Rep:
It's an undergraduate degree with a foundation year. I didn't had enough of UCAS points to start from the 1st year. My high school grades weren't that good, I had about 120 UCAS points, and was considering Greenwich, UWL or De Montford University. It looks that everything is telling me that I've made a wrong choice. Besidses the modern look and good facilities it looks like that course doesn't have much to offer and the lectures are way below average when it comes to quality of teaching... During the first semester we had some good lecturers that just disappeared at the end of the semester.. we have been told that they changed the Uni for some unknown reasons..
ajj2000
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Ellie98.)
It's an undergraduate degree with a foundation year. I didn't had enough of UCAS points to start from the 1st year. My high school grades weren't that good, I had about 120 UCAS points, and was considering Greenwich, UWL or De Montford University. It looks that everything is telling me that I've made a wrong choice. Besidses the modern look and good facilities it looks like that course doesn't have much to offer and the lectures are way below average when it comes to quality of teaching... During the first semester we had some good lecturers that just disappeared at the end of the semester.. we have been told that they changed the Uni for some unknown reasons..
Thats a tough one. Have you been able to speak with people on the degree course about how they find the lectures? What is it about the teaching which makes you find it weak?
Ellie98.
Rep:
I've asked some of them what they think about the course, they said that it's fine. However I don't find it 'fine' when it takes 20 minutes of a seminar for the teacher to start the presentation, which has only 4 slides and we basically talk about the same things as in the previous lesson, then finish the seminar 10 minutes early... I could go on with the course and learn on my own but again I don't know if it will prepare me to start a career in accounting... and finally I don't get on with the people on my course I find it hard to start a conversation with them as we have different goals and opinions about everything.. or maybe it's the fact that I'm a bit older then the rest. More over, most of us are international students.

When I've checked the research of UWL it looks like they don't do any(?) and people struggle with finding the job after graduation.
ajj2000
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Are you an international student? I doubt UWL do a huge amount of research in accounting but it does sound like the lectures are pretty poor. That being said- lots of students find the same in a lot of universities.
Admit-One
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Ellie98.)
It's an undergraduate degree with a foundation year. I didn't had enough of UCAS points to start from the 1st year. My high school grades weren't that good, I had about 120 UCAS points, and was considering Greenwich, UWL or De Montford University.
If you feel you might still get a decent result in the foundation year, you could ask any of those three if they would accept a transfer? Transfers are quite case by case, but it could potentially save the year being a waste.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (32)
9.73%
Okay (97)
29.48%
A bit lacking (119)
36.17%
Not good at all (81)
24.62%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed