The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2180
RightSaidJames
ah, ok. It looked like Linux. and that quote was supposed to say Mac icons, by the way.

could well be... but iirc he posted a screen a while back with something windowsy in it
Reply 2181
Choad
dashboard is widgets (like a clock, calender, translator etc.) but i am pretty sure greg uses windows xp not anything penguin based

can't get over how awesome expose looks.

Expose may look nice, but that's compiz fusion on linux :p:

That is mac's expose version of displaying different (as apple calls them) "spaces".
Reply 2182
Rob801
Expose may look nice, but that's compiz fusion on linux :p:

That is mac's expose version of displaying different (as apple calls them) "spaces".

no thats spaces. the apple expose look like this

screen-capture.jpg

they are completely different.spaces lets you have many different "desktops" as to avoid cluttering of applications, also can be used to hide things :wink:. expose lets you see all your open windows in the "desktop" you're in. the linux expose is more like spaces then the apple expose
Reply 2183
un4given

screen-capture.jpg

they are completely different.spaces lets you have many different "desktops" as to avoid cluttering of applications, also can be used to hide things :wink:. expose lets you see all your open windows in the "desktop" you're in. the linux expose is more like spaces then the apple expose

Confusingly enough, it's not Expo but Scale that is the equivalent to OS X's Expose. Expo, like you said, is similar to Spaces on OS X.

Meh, the cube is better anyway. :p:
Reply 2184
un4given

screen-capture.jpg

Expose is actually the backend working that allows all those things to happen. Spaces is just having multiple desktops, that screen shot is expose's way of showing the different desktops in spaces.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Expos%C3%A9_(Mac_OS_X)

"Exposé also works with Spaces, a new feature in Mac OS X Leopard, so that a user can see the windows in each desktop scaled down while looking at a scaled down version of each space."
Reply 2185
Rob801
Expose is actually the backend working that allows all those things to happen. Spaces is just having multiple desktops, that screen shot is expose's way of showing the different desktops in spaces.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Expos%C3%A9_(Mac_OS_X)

"Exposé also works with Spaces, a new feature in Mac OS X Leopard, so that a user can see the windows in each desktop scaled down while looking at a scaled down version of each space."

yeah but in common tongue that is what they are called. other wise it all gets silly and confusing
Reply 2186
MGT_90
Confusingly enough, it's not Expo but Scale that is the equivalent to OS X's Expose. Expo, like you said, is similar to Spaces on OS X.

Meh, the cube is better anyway. :p:

oh no he di'n't

seriously how can you say the cube is more useful than expo? expo = see all workspaces at once and drag windows between them. cube = ???

edit: oh, you didn't say it was more useful, but better. i suppose better is entirely subjective... but still

[Full-Size]

Some pro-Tibet protesters in Trafalgar Square, London.
Pretty cool pic I found on the net

Reply 2189
Choad
oh no he di'n't

seriously how can you say the cube is more useful than expo? expo = see all workspaces at once and drag windows between them. cube = ???

edit: oh, you didn't say it was more useful, but better. i suppose better is entirely subjective... but still

Expo is more useful, I agree, but the Cube's ostentatious eye candy is too hard to resist. I really use Compiz-Fusion more as eye-candy than extending functionality. So long as I have virtual desktops, Alt+Tab, and F1-F6, I'm OK for multitasking.

The Cube is second only to Wobbly Windows.
Reply 2190
I tried running (raw) compiz-fusion once. It was very usable after configuring some of the key bindings but after a couple of days the effects began to drive me insane. Most of the effects are at best, a distraction and at worst, obtrusive and irritating. The cube might look cool, but if you switch workspaces regularly it's uncomfortable (and a little disorientating) to watch it whizzing about all the time - same with the window switchers.

Of course, once I had disabled all the effects that got in my way, there was very little left for compiz to offer me so I went back to a tiling manager. :p:

I'm typing this whilst trying out KDE 4.1 and I can't stand it. I recognise that it's amazing - I just find it impossible to go back to a mouse-orientated desktop now.

In many ways it's like trying to move back to Windows from Linux - you don't realise just how bad Windows is until you start using something else. If you try to go back though, Windows reveals itself in all its horrible glory.

There are so many features associated with floating window managers that just seem completely awkward and pointless now - overlapping windows, title bars (surely you don't need the name written above the window to tell what it is?), compulsory manual resizing/movement of each window, a bar at the bottom to tell you what programs you have running, Alt-Tab window focus switching as opposed to directional switching, etc. etc. etc.

Anyway, that's distracted me from my point, which was clearly: compiz-fusion sucks. Discuss. :biggrin:
I realise that I'm just dragging this even more off topic now, but when I tried compiz-fusion a lot of the effects crashed my graphics card, sadly. But the wobbly windows are good, lol.

this is mine
Mine
Heres mine:

Sony Vaio Laptop
160GB Hard Drive
Intel Core 2 T5500 1.67ghz
2GB Ram
Vista Home Premium
Mine:

Reply 2197
For the Beijing Olympics :cool:

Click to view.