Can the police be involved if someone accidentally gave you too much money?

Watch
Marcus5iM45
Badges: 5
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
My friend borrowed £100 from me in February and said she would return it in a week. However, this was not the case and I had to bombard for her for it back until last night she returned it but accidentally sent me £1000 instead.
As she messed me around all year I think I might hold on to the extra £900 for a while.

I told her my app wasn’t working and then told her I was too busy to return the money. Now she’s putting “GiVe mE tHe ****ing mOnEy BacK or I’m GoIng to ThE pOLicE”.
Now I don’t know what to do. Help!!!!!!
summerbirdreads
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Marcus5iM45)
My friend borrowed £100 from me in February and said she would return it in a week. However, this was not the case and I had to bombard for her for it back until last night she returned it but accidentally sent me £1000 instead.
As she messed me around all year I think I might hold on to the extra £900 for a while.

I told her my app wasn’t working and then told her I was too busy to return the money. Now she’s putting “GiVe mE tHe ****ing mOnEy BacK or I’m GoIng to ThE pOLicE”.
Now I don’t know what to do. Help!!!!!!
Just give it to her back
flamingolover
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
£900 is a lot to keep from her. It’s also petty and rude. Give it back and grow up
gjd800
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
another day, another unbelievable, unbearable TSR :bell:end
TheMcSame
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Ummm, potentially yes. Whether the police can do anything is another matter, but she can take you to court and instances where the amount you've received is obviously wrong, I.E 1000 rather than the intended 100, you will likely find the judge will take your friend's side.

Also, if this real I suspect you'll ask since you were supposedly messed around, you can't 'charge' her interest or late fees as you didn't have a contract written up stating such things. If you gave her back the money, but kept some as a 'late fee' or 'interest' she'd steamroll you in court.
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Return it, you cant ereally get in trouble for just taking your sweet time about it but theres nothing to be gained about it and you really dont want her to follow through on the police as that will go on a file, even if there is no criminal charge etc.
Surnia
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
The police won't get involved for you being given too much money. They can get involved for you depriving someone of something that belongs to them.

"Theft Act 1968: A person appropriating property belonging to another without meaning the other permanently to lose the thing itself is nevertheless to be regarded as having the intention of permanently depriving the other of it if his intention is to treat the thing as his own to dispose of regardless of the other’s rights; and a borrowing or lending of it may amount to so treating it if, but only if, the borrowing or lending is for a period and in circumstances making it equivalent to an outright taking or disposal."
RedGiant
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Yes, you are likely committing the offense of 'dishonestly retaining a wrongful credit' contrary to the Theft Act.
justme6263
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Just stop being as much of a ******** as she was? More so in fact because you're also being petty and, let's be honest, £900 is vastly more than £100.
Last edited by justme6263; 1 month ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (23)
9.24%
Okay (72)
28.92%
A bit lacking (93)
37.35%
Not good at all (61)
24.5%

Watched Threads