do girls in the UK use cute like girls do in the US?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I wanna avoid any major misunderstandings but basically, in the US, if you are a guy and a girl says you are cute, it means you are attractive (and vice versa of course).

They use it in the baby/adorable sense too of course but it's safe to say that if you tell a grown man/woman they are cute, you mean you most likely think they are attractive.

Is it used only for things like puppies or babies in the UK? like a person is cute as in endearing or sweet but not in that way?
Anonymous #2
Report 1 week ago
I would use cute in THAT way too if i like someone , idk whats wrong witht that ^^
CatInTheCorner
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I wanna avoid any major misunderstandings but basically, in the US, if you are a guy and a girl says you are cute, it means you are attractive (and vice versa of course).

They use it in the baby/adorable sense too of course but it's safe to say that if you tell a grown man/woman they are cute, you mean you most likely think they are attractive.

Is it used only for things like puppies or babies in the UK? like a person is cute as in endearing or sweet but not in that way?
You can, but slang is used more often. "peng" and such. It's not just for puppies and babies, but it's a bit formal, I don't think I've ever not heard peng said!
hungrysalamander
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by CatInTheCorner)
You can, but slang is used more often. "peng" and such. It's not just for puppies and babies, but it's a bit formal, I don't think I've ever not heard peng said!
Haven't heard people outside of london say peng.
CatInTheCorner
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by hungrysalamander)
Haven't heard people outside of london say peng.
Londoner here, sorry! Not sure about rest of the UK
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Yes, British girls call men they consider attractive cute.
CaptainDuckie
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I’d much rather someone said attractive. If someone said ‘cute’, idk if it’s just me but it feels half hearted.

Like they’re just saying it to make you feel better. It obviously depends on the context but I’ve noticed it done whenever a girl tries to make a boy feel better about their appearance or vice versa.
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I use the term "cute" to describe guys that are sweet like a puppy or teddy bear.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (211)
56.57%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (50)
13.4%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (41)
10.99%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (33)
8.85%
I haven't started researching yet (22)
5.9%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (16)
4.29%

Watched Threads