The Student Room Group

do girls in the UK use cute like girls do in the US?

I wanna avoid any major misunderstandings but basically, in the US, if you are a guy and a girl says you are cute, it means you are attractive (and vice versa of course).

They use it in the baby/adorable sense too of course but it's safe to say that if you tell a grown man/woman they are cute, you mean you most likely think they are attractive.

Is it used only for things like puppies or babies in the UK? like a person is cute as in endearing or sweet but not in that way?
I would use cute in THAT way too if i like someone , idk whats wrong witht that ^^
Original post by Anonymous
I wanna avoid any major misunderstandings but basically, in the US, if you are a guy and a girl says you are cute, it means you are attractive (and vice versa of course).

They use it in the baby/adorable sense too of course but it's safe to say that if you tell a grown man/woman they are cute, you mean you most likely think they are attractive.

Is it used only for things like puppies or babies in the UK? like a person is cute as in endearing or sweet but not in that way?

You can, but slang is used more often. "peng" and such. It's not just for puppies and babies, but it's a bit formal, I don't think I've ever not heard peng said!
Original post by CatInTheCorner
You can, but slang is used more often. "peng" and such. It's not just for puppies and babies, but it's a bit formal, I don't think I've ever not heard peng said!

Haven't heard people outside of london say peng.
Original post by hungrysalamander
Haven't heard people outside of london say peng.

Londoner here, sorry! Not sure about rest of the UK :smile:
Yes, British girls call men they consider attractive cute.
I’d much rather someone said attractive. If someone said ‘cute’, idk if it’s just me but it feels half hearted.

Like they’re just saying it to make you feel better. It obviously depends on the context but I’ve noticed it done whenever a girl tries to make a boy feel better about their appearance or vice versa.
I use the term "cute" to describe guys that are sweet like a puppy or teddy bear.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending