CHICOTIME2015
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I have recently received an email that I had to respond to from my University or I would be kicked out of Uni. This is due to missing 2 lectures in my first week of second year for being ill. Problem is I was planning to go up to Newcastle for a halloween weekend but if I do I will miss my lecture on the Friday and on the Monday (I won't be back in time). I am really lost on what to do....
CatInTheCorner
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by CHICOTIME2015)
I have recently received an email that I had to respond to from my University or I would be kicked out of Uni. This is due to missing 2 lectures in my first week of second year for being ill. Problem is I was planning to go up to Newcastle for a halloween weekend but if I do I will miss my lecture on the Friday and on the Monday (I won't be back in time). I am really lost on what to do....
Cancel the weekend and get the situation sorted
YaliaV123
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Were you ill or hungover? What are your priorities?
CHICOTIME2015
Rep:
?
(Original post by CatInTheCorner)
Cancel the weekend and get the situation sorted
My friends are annoyed that I can't go and I feel guilty because I promised them that I would. But I obviously don't want to ruin my future. I tried to change my train tickets but it costs too much to tbh.
CHICOTIME2015
Rep:
?
(Original post by YaliaV123)
Were you ill or hungover? What are your priorities?
I was ill during those 2 days but obviously the Halloween weekend I just wouldn't be there because the train times are before my lectures.
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
What people tend not to realise about university is that attending is not optional. Lecture staff may not constantly chase you up and demand explanations for your absences, but they're tracking them. Most people learn real self-discipline by the end of their undergrad. The mature thing to do in this situation would be to prioritise your education over your social life.

Get the first train after your lectures end on the Friday, then the earliest one home on the Monday. If neither of those are doable without missing lectures then get the earliest morning train on the Saturday and the latest one home on the Sunday night. If that seems too much faff for not enough reward then simply don't go.
Last edited by 1582; 1 week ago
CHICOTIME2015
Rep:
?
(Original post by 1582)
What people tend not to realise about university is that attending is not optional. Lecture staff may not constantly chase you up and demand explanations for your absences, but they're tracking them. Most people learn real self-discipline by the end of their undergrad. The mature thing to do in this situation would be to prioritise your education over your social life.

Get the first train after your lectures end on the Friday, then the earliest one home on the Monday. If neither of those are doable without missing lectures then get the earliest morning train on the Saturday and the latest one home on the Sunday night. If that seems too much faff for not enough reward then simply don't go.
I was thinking about doing that just it costs a lot now closer to the time to get different tickets so ill probably have to just leave it.
GabiAbi84
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Are you really lost on what to do or are you just bummed that you will have to miss your planned weekend.
Already having a warning for missing lectures should give you all the information you need to make this decision.
CHICOTIME2015
Rep:
?
(Original post by GabiAbi84)
Are you really lost on what to do or are you just bummed that you will have to miss your planned weekend.
Already having a warning for missing lectures should give you all the information you need to make this decision.
I think I just get guilty about letting friends down. I was meant to go up with 2 other friends but looks like that won't be the case.
Last edited by CHICOTIME2015; 1 week ago
GabiAbi84
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I think I just get guilty about letting friends down
I’m sure they will understand that lectures are more important when you’re already on a warning-this could have all been prevented had you organised your trip around your lectures in the first place unfortunately.
Either travel later, or cancel the trip.
I’m sure this won’t be the only opportunity you have to go out with your friends.
CHICOTIME2015
Rep:
?
I’m sure they will understand that lectures are more important when you’re already on a warning-this could have all been prevented had you organised your trip around your lectures in the first place unfortunately.
Either travel later, or cancel the trip.
I’m sure this won’t be the only opportunity you have to go out with your friends.
I booked the train tickets earlier before I got my timetable because they were cheaper that's all. It was a win big or nothing situation lol.
GabiAbi84
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I booked the train tickets earlier before I got my timetable because they were cheaper that's all. It was a win big or nothing situation lol.
Ah okay, understandable but regrettable situation then.
Perhaps one of your other friends who wasn’t going would buy your train tickets etc off you so it’s not a total loss?
CHICOTIME2015
Rep:
?
Ah okay, understandable but regrettable situation then.
Perhaps one of your other friends who wasn’t going would buy your train tickets etc off you so it’s not a total loss?
I think at the end of the day faking i'm ill in the same month as i've actually ill is bit of a poor story. My friend told me just to say I was ill but I don't know. Just nervous of receiving bad news.
Anonymous #1
Report 1 week ago
I'm in my first year of Uni and have recently been diagnosed with a chronic illness, that is extremely dangerous to travel alone with, I commute from a long way away. I've missed 3 lectures, everything is online though for my Uni, i.e. the lecturers put up all of the slides, readings and resources online for this exact reason for people that have chronic illness or a disability. Explain the situation to them, my University is far more liberal and deals with chronic illness and mental illness rather seriously, as i.e. you do the work, they have a duty to support you as a client through this hard time. But honestly, if you can attend those lectures. At the end of the day it's your future, and depending on what subject you are doing different departments may not be as understanding as others. And if you don't have a legitimate excuse, my Consultant wrote to the University, they will be looking at sanctioning you for just missing time off to party
Admit-One
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Your friends aren't going to be bummed out if your choice is between "attend a Halloween do" or "get kicked out of uni". Stop feeling guilty about this.
CHICOTIME2015
Rep:
?
(Original post by Admit-One)
Your friends aren't going to be bummed out if your choice is between "attend a Halloween do" or "get kicked out of uni". Stop feeling guilty about this.
Well they keep trying to find a way to get me out of it because they know I get annoyed when I miss out on stuff as well as the fact we have spent money and train tickets on costumes. It sounds really pathetic tbh saying it out loud.
GabiAbi84
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I think at the end of the day faking i'm ill in the same month as i've actually ill is bit of a poor story. My friend told me just to say I was ill but I don't know. Just nervous of receiving bad news.
I didn’t tell you to fake being ill…
I told you to see if you could sell your train tickets.

It’s not even just about the being caught tbh-you really should be attending your lectures.

Plenty of time to go out with your mates.
CHICOTIME2015
Rep:
?
I didn’t tell you to fake being ill…
I told you to see if you could sell your train tickets.

It’s not even just about the being caught tbh-you really should be attending your lectures.

Plenty of time to go out with your mates.
Sorry I was thinking out loud to myself. If I have to argue with myself this much best I shouldn't go partying haha
Last edited by CHICOTIME2015; 1 week ago
GabiAbi84
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Sorry I was thinking out loud to myself. If I have to argue with myself this much best I shouldn't go partying haha
Sorry, I just didn’t really see what there is to argue about.
You have a warning for missing lectures… surely that’s all there is to it.
Admit-One
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Well they keep trying to find a way to get me out of it because they know I get annoyed when I miss out on stuff as well as the fact we have spent money and train tickets on costumes. It sounds really pathetic tbh saying it out loud.
If they know that you are on a warning and are still pressuring you to go then they're divs. I understand the frustration but you took a punt on buying the tickets and not having them clash and it hasn't worked out.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has your education been disrupted this academic year due to the pandemic?

Yes (41)
89.13%
No (5)
10.87%

Watched Threads