Am I legally bound to pay my PGCE bursary if I do not pursue ECT after finishing

Watch
Hell0W0rld
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I am currently in a PGCE course via University. As much as I enjoy the subjects and students, I just don't feel it is the right job for me. So, If I do not pursue it, will I have to pay back the bursary? Also, how long after the completion of my PGCE do I need to apply for ECT teacher training. Just cause there are not many vacancies in teaching around my area currently and I want to pursue my masters in the meantime than waiting and doing nothing.
alit256
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Hell0W0rld)
I am currently in a PGCE course via University. As much as I enjoy the subjects and students, I just don't feel it is the right job for me. So, If I do not pursue it, will I have to pay back the bursary? Also, how long after the completion of my PGCE do I need to apply for ECT teacher training. Just cause there are not many vacancies in teaching around my area currently and I want to pursue my masters in the meantime than waiting and doing nothing.
you will not have to pay bursary back but u will have to pay back your student loan if you took any
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Hell0W0rld)
If you drop out part way through the course, you may be asked to pay back a proportion of the bursary as it is payed in advance. If you don't go into teaching but complete the course, then no-one will come and chase you for the bursary.

You can do your ECT at any time, but you can only supply teach for 5 years prior to doing it.
alit256
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by SarcAndSpark)
If you drop out part way through the course, you may be asked to pay back a proportion of the bursary as it is payed in advance. If you don't go into teaching but complete the course, then no-one will come and chase you for the bursary.

You can do your ECT at any time, but you can only supply teach for 5 years prior to doing it.
Bursary is paid monthly basis and it’s like working and your getting paid and if you drop out your bursary will be suspended and your studies. you will not have to pay back . Please look at DFE website which will give you more guidance.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (299)
57.28%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (74)
14.18%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (59)
11.3%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (44)
8.43%
I haven't started researching yet (26)
4.98%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (20)
3.83%

Watched Threads