Does my teacher assistant like me or is it pure friendliness?

Watch
Anonymoushuh
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I am a male having to retake maths because I am simply awful at it and failed the subject in school, I am hoping to pass it this year as same as my main course. A teacher assistant has been signed to me for support on it incase I struggle at a topic or cant seem to answer a question, when she was assigned (which was yesterday) I noticed she was sitting really close to me and had her hand on the edge of my seat which I didn’t find odd (keep in mind I’ve had a lot of assistants in maths so im not inexperienced with them and know what they are like) she also kept rubbing my shoulder one time very roughly then the next time was light like we were long term friends as if I have known her before, I’ve also never had a TA touch me like that in general so quickly after knowing them so that is when I started to suspect something though I don’t like to judge a person so quickly yet it seemed like i had to this time. She also asked how old I was (17 nearly 18) I replied and she proceeded to note I was a young adult then giggled showing she doesn’t think of me as just a kid it seems, I also think my age is a bit irrelevant to the subject especially asking so quickly which I find more strange, she giggled quite a lot during the hour in fact even when I didn’t say or do anything funny, Is she simply just being friendly or is there thought of something sus going on here?
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Anonymoushuh)
she also kept rubbing my shoulder one time very roughly then the next time was light like we were long term friends as if I have known her before, I’ve also never had a TA touch me like that in general so quickly after knowing them so that is when I started to suspect something though
This TA has crossed a line, and this is a safeguarding concern. She should not be touching you like this - it isn't appropriate. Judging by the quote above, you have previously been 'touched' by TAs - seems odd that you would have had this more than once.

In any case, she needs reporting, but you probably won't do that. With any luck, someone else saw, and has reported it to the SDP instead.
Anonymoushuh
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by Reality Check)
This TA has crossed a line, and this is a safeguarding concern. She should not be touching you like this - it isn't appropriate. Judging by the quote above, you have previously been 'touched' by TAs - seems odd that you would have had this more than once.

In any case, she needs reporting, but you probably won't do that. With any luck, someone else saw, and has reported it to the SDP instead.
Sorry my bad I was pretty poor at explaining that part, they were friendly nudges from male assistants after a funny conversation after knowing them for some time or light hearted hand on the shoulder after talking about personal issues, I compared it because this time it felt intimate and very rushed especially when it is a grown woman I do not know
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Anonymoushuh)
Sorry my bad I was pretty poor at explaining that part, they were friendly nudges from male assistants after a funny conversation after knowing them for some time or light hearted hand on the shoulder after talking about personal issues, I compared it because this time it felt intimate and very rushed especially when it is a grown woman I do not know
Thanks for that clarification.

Yes, I think this is a very different thing (though TAs shouldn't really be touching you full stop). This TA, with the shoulder rubbing and everything, really has crossed a line though.

If it were me, I'd be reporting it to your teacher or SDP (senior designated person, and Reception would be able to tell you who that is). It's not appropriate and goes against the professional standards she is bound by. Equally, how would you feel if she did this to a little kid or something?

Report it - it's the right thing to do.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (211)
56.57%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (50)
13.4%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (41)
10.99%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (33)
8.85%
I haven't started researching yet (22)
5.9%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (16)
4.29%

Watched Threads