Why are Muslim girls obsessed with virginity?

Watch
Anonymous #3
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by summerbirdreads)
As a Muslim girl, I didn't know we were so obsessed, I thought we were just following our religion
exactly that is what we do as a good muslim not being obsessed.
Anonymous #3
Report 1 week ago
[QUOTE=Gaddafi;96014551]It's a shame that this belief isn't as strong as it's heyday.

Oh well I suppose. No good thing lasts forever and all ideas begin to crumble with the passage of time.[/QUOTE
hey watch what you type coz you are disrespecting our religion
Anonymous #4
Report 1 week ago
as a sikh, it's the same/similar thing for our religion.
Anonymous #5
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
as a sikh, it's the same/similar thing for our religion.
Most sikh girls have sex before marriage..
Anonymous #4
Report 1 week ago
Most sikh girls have sex before marriage..
wait really?? i don't want to seem uncultured, but my parents told me never to have sex before marriage, never kiss someone before marriage, never have a bf before marriage etc.
i always thought that other sikhs do it, so why can't i ?
i'm not even a strict sikh at ALL
Anonymous #5
Report 1 week ago
wait really?? i don't want to seem uncultured, but my parents told me never to have sex before marriage, never kiss someone before marriage, never have a bf before marriage etc.
Conservative Sikhs but most UK based Sikh girls I met have had sex without marriage, go clubbing, some date white guys, some date Sikh guys.
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Gaddafi)
It's a shame that this belief isn't as strong as it's heyday.
hey watch what you type coz you are disrespecting our religion
The TSR user whom you have accused of "disrespecting our religion" is a male follower of islam.

P.S Why are you posting through the anonymous feature? :confused:
Last edited by londonmyst; 1 week ago
Anonymous #4
Report 1 week ago
Conservative Sikhs but most UK based Sikh girls I met have had sex without marriage, go clubbing, some date white guys, some date Sikh guys.
yeah, tbh that makes sense as my mom is from india and my dad's parents are both from india too.
but i genuinely never knew that. thanks for the info tho
londonmyst
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Your family may be religious traditionalists or social conservatives.
I'm not sikh or asian, my mother and maternal grandmother support waiting until marriage for religious reasons.
I don't.
Anonymous #6
Report 1 week ago
the main question is why do you care OP ? Its their choice.
I know plenty of so called Muslim girls who just goes out and have sex with random strangers and don't care about virginity.
Anonymous #3
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by londonmyst)
The TSR user whom you have accused of "disrespecting our religion" is a male follower of islam.

P.S Why are you posting through the anonymous feature? :confused:
oh sorry i didn't read it properly.sorry again
Rugbee
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
What is the point of saving yourself for marriage, these days educated muslim men don't even want to marry a woman unless she is on a high salary, Might as well live like a non Muslim, right?
Muslim girls aren't at all obsessed with virginity. The men are.
MyFightSong
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Isn't that a pathetic mindset to have? Firstly you're making it seem as if you live for a mans approval. Who gives a flying **** if Muslim men don't care about it? We're not staying virgins for them, we're virgins because our religion - which we love and respect - told us to stay virgins until marriage. Therefore GOOD muslims will stay virgins until marriage. If a muslim man isn't a virgin then he clearly didn't care about his religion as much as we do.

We also love and respect ourselves too much to not allow ourselves to be a piece of meat to several guys. If you're a prize, you have to be earned. I'm sorry that you don't think you're a prize. Please work on your confidence and self-respect, you will love yourself a whole lot more. x
londonmyst
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Rugbee)
Muslim girls aren't at all obsessed with virginity. The men are.
Some men are, while others are not.
I know plenty who are not obsessed by their own choice about this or anyone else's.
Many male followers of islam do not choose to wait until marriage or have no dealbreaker requiring a potential female partner to have this commitment.
Anonymous #7
Report 1 week ago
How about we start talking about male's virginity? And who they are dating before marriage?

Saving oneself for marriage isn't specific to Islam - it appears in a lot of faiths and cultures around the world. And I have never seen a text which states that we should focus only on what the females are doing and ignore and forgive the acts of males and yet most religions have this focus - in which case should we discuss the patriarchal interpretation of texts and the oppression of women?
Anonymous #4
Report 1 week ago
Lol the majority of sikh girls and muslim girls aren't virgins. A minority who are more religious are virgin.
(Original post by londonmyst)
Your family may be religious traditionalists or social conservatives.
I'm not sikh or asian, my mother and maternal grandmother support waiting until marriage for religious reasons.
I don't.
idk why but i literally feel tricked as i didn't know this. i've just always been brought up that way, i guess.
i mean, i was going to go against the whole no sex thing that my mom said, after i leave home to uni.
maybe other sikh girls have sex because they want to be rebellious??
idk just a thought.
ig i'm still shocked about it haha
asif007
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
What is the point of saving yourself for marriage, these days educated muslim men don't even want to marry a woman unless she is on a high salary, Might as well live like a non Muslim, right?
Nah don't get it wrong. Women want men on a high salary - not the other way round. Somebody mentioned already: a woman's income is not a dealbreaker to men. But a woman's virginity is a big dealbreaker to a man. The reason Muslim girls want to save themselves for marriage is because they know this is what high quality men want. Don't make the mistake of thinking men and women are attracted to the same things, because we are not. By all means you can get run through by as many men as you like, but you will end up destroying your future chances of finding an educated Muslim man for marriage. A man of high status and high income does not want a woman who is either A) fat or B) promiscuous.
londonmyst
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
How about we start talking about male's virginity? And who they are dating before marriage?

Saving oneself for marriage isn't specific to Islam - it appears in a lot of faiths and cultures around the world. And I have never seen a text which states that we should focus only on what the females are doing and ignore and forgive the acts of males and yet most religions have this focus - in which case should we discuss the patriarchal interpretation of texts and the oppression of women?
Have you read the brutal solicitations and vicious invective targeted solely in the direction of unmarried sexually active females in the old testament? :eek3:
Feel free to start a TSR thread discussing males, who they are dating before marriage, the oppression of females and patriarchal interpretations of ancient religious texts. :cool:
Gaddafi
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago

One of the biggest problems with the new generation is their economic illiteracy. For years now I have encouraged us to teach some basic economics and the application of market forces in school. Otherwise we end up with opinions like this.

I'll run through some very basic principles. (1) Almost anything can be viewed as a commodity. Including people. Now the value of a commodity depends entirely upon what a buyer is willing to pay for it. There is no point claiming something is worth X amount if nobody in the open market is willing to pay for that. (2) Qualities that buyers are willing to pay far more for obviously become more valued then other qualities.

This can be seen with how a man's height and income is incredibly valued. Women, the buyers, value these qualities in the commodity - ie men.

Male virginity is worthless because the buyers as a whole do not care about it. Female income and height is worth little because the buyers do not care about.

There is no evil male conspiracy here. If that was the case, then male income and height wouldn't be so valued.
Anonymous #7
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Gaddafi)
One of the biggest problems with the new generation is their economic illiteracy. For years now I have encouraged us to teach some basic economics and the application of market forces in school. Otherwise we end up with opinions like this.

I'll run through some very basic principles. (1) Almost anything can be viewed as a commodity. Including people. Now the value of a commodity depends entirely upon what a buyer is willing to pay for it. There is no point claiming something is worth X amount if nobody in the open market is willing to pay for that. (2) Qualities that buyers are willing to pay far more for obviously become more valued then other qualities.

This can be seen with how a man's height and income is incredibly valued. Women, the buyers, value these qualities in the commodity - ie men.

Male virginity is worthless because the buyers as a whole do not care about it. Female income and height is worth little because the buyers do not care about.

There is no evil male conspiracy here. If that was the case, then male income and height wouldn't be so valued.
I think that male height and income is overstated - mostly by men who feel inadequate and need to find a reason that someone doesn't want to be with them. I'm not saying that there isn't a proportion of women that value this - but it certainly isn't the majority in my experience.

However, a males height does not affect my own height and a males income does not change mine. But a male expecting a female to be a virgin whilst not being one himself brings into question the hypocrisy of your opinion. Are the males to sleep with each other prior to marriage to protect the virtue of the women?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (211)
56.57%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (50)
13.4%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (41)
10.99%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (33)
8.85%
I haven't started researching yet (22)
5.9%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (16)
4.29%

Watched Threads