bette4545
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hi, so I'm a current first year at Uni of Edinburgh. I skipped first year, called Direct Entry, because of a few different reasons including cost and what I deemed as 'useful'. A lot of first year at Scottish universities is A2 and a bit beyond.

I do Physics - and I'm extremely passionate about it. I've been passionate about it for the whole of sixth form, for example reading endless numbers of books, I had a magazine - pretty much anything Physics-related made my heart flutter.

So I got to Uni, motivated and ready to work, and within the first 2 weeks I pretty much crashed. I noticed very early on that I was well behind my class in Maths ability. My school didn't offer FM, so I self taught CP1, some of CP2, all of decision and all of FS1. There was no requirement for FM at all, it wasn't even on my application (I just needed an A* in Maths). However, everyone in my direct entry class has done both Further Mechanics modules and because of this, they've told me they're finding it much easier.

I cannot even attempt my assignments most times - I'm missing lectures out of frustration, boredom and I'm not enjoying the content. In particular for my Classical Physics module - I'm doing okay in the Modern Physics, and my Maths modules.

It's really started to make me question whether I enjoy learning about Physics as opposed to doing Physics - an issue I've had also for 2 years. I.e. I would always leave revising it because I didn't enjoy revising for it and I generally didn't enjoy the problem-solving, Physics questions we were set as University Admissions prep.

I'm doing a CompSci module at the moment - and I love it, I'm 2 weeks ahead and people seem to ask me for help and I find it easy to explain what's wrong with their code and help guide them. I'd have 0, zilch, nada chance at explaining anything I've done in Physics so far.

I've always wanted to apply for CompSci as an alternative to Physics, as I'm naturally geared toward coding, tech and the sort of maths that comes in CompSci, like discrete maths and probability. I also read a lot of books on things like AI and Technology - so I think it's always been a possibility but I got a 'low' (by my school standards) grade at GCSE because we had no CompSci teacher aka a 7 so they discouraged me from pursuing it further. I've actually wanted to do CompSci since I was like, year 7...

So, after being extremely miserable for 3 weeks, decided to take action and set out a few steps I could take:

1. Continue on my course with extra support in Classical Physics.
2. Move to Physics first year.
3. Move to Computational Physics first year.
- This seemed ideal, but is literally the exact same as my Physics course I'm doing right now except I do an Intro to Computation course in semester 1 of first year. That's literally it.
4. Drop out and re-apply for Computer Science.

I tried transferring onto CompSci at first year - got a solid no.
I'm slightly against doing 4 years, my PT is also against me doing 4 years and wants me to just get extra support in CP classes. However, I'm incredibly behind and incredibly miserable doing this. I'm failing a lot of my assignments already- he said this was because I'm doing fine in my Modern Physics module and my Maths modules so waiting a WHOLE year for just one module is a bit ridiculous. I get that, but the maths and the assignments in Classical Physics are straight up impossible for me, and it's stressing me out lots!

I'm really struggling mentally and it's all building up a lot. It's definitely not the uni experience I envisioned.

For my A-Levels I got 3 A*s in Physics, Maths and Biology.
If I did drop out, I'd probably get a job, take the Further Maths Exams in June so I can get a qualification and apply for 2022 entry. (Probably meaning I'd have to quickly do a mock exam for my old school, or a private tutor etc.). Then do one of the MIT OpenCourseWare, or CS50 online course and try undergo some programming projects.

Any advice would be great. I hope none of this comes off as lazy, narrow-minded or impulsive.

I feel incredibly indecisive and also incredibly impulsive and am terrified of making the wrong decision.

Thanks again
Last edited by bette4545; 1 week ago
Anonymous #1
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by bette4545)
Hi, so I'm a current first year at Uni of Edinburgh. I skipped first year, called Direct Entry, because of a few different reasons including cost and what I deemed as 'useful'. A lot of first year at Scottish universities is A2 and a bit beyond.

I do Physics - and I'm extremely passionate about it. I've been passionate about it for the whole of sixth form, for example reading endless numbers of books, I had a magazine - pretty much anything Physics-related made my heart flutter.

So I got to Uni, motivated and ready to work, and within the first 2 weeks I pretty much crashed. I noticed very early on that I was well behind my class in Maths ability. My school didn't offer FM, so I self taught CP1, some of CP2, all of decision and all of FS1. There was no requirement for FM at all, it wasn't even on my application (I just needed an A* in Maths). However, everyone in my direct entry class has done both Further Mechanics modules and because of this, they've told me they're finding it much easier.

I cannot even attempt my assignments most times - I'm missing lectures out of frustration, boredom and I'm not enjoying the content. In particular for my Classical Physics module - I'm doing okay in the Modern Physics, and my Maths modules.

It's really started to make me question whether I enjoy learning about Physics as opposed to doing Physics - an issue I've had also for 2 years. I.e. I would always leave revising it because I didn't enjoy revising for it and I generally didn't enjoy the problem-solving, Physics questions we were set as University Admissions prep.

I'm doing a CompSci module at the moment - and I love it, I'm 2 weeks ahead and people seem to ask me for help and I find it easy to explain what's wrong with their code and help guide them. I'd have 0, zilch, nada chance at explaining anything I've done in Physics so far.

I've always wanted to apply for CompSci as an alternative to Physics, as I'm naturally geared toward coding, tech and the sort of maths that comes in CompSci, like discrete maths and probability. I also read a lot of books on things like AI and Technology - so I think it's always been a possibility but I got a 'low' (by my school standards) grade at GCSE because we had no CompSci teacher aka a 7 so they discouraged me from pursuing it further. I've actually wanted to do CompSci since I was like, year 7...

So, after being extremely miserable for 3 weeks, decided to take action and set out a few steps I could take:

1. Continue on my course with extra support in Classical Physics.
2. Move to Physics first year.
3. Move to Computational Physics first year.
- This seemed ideal, but is literally the exact same as my Physics course I'm doing right now except I do an Intro to Computation course in semester 1 of first year. That's literally it.
4. Drop out and re-apply for Computer Science.

I tried transferring onto CompSci at first year - got a solid no.
I'm slightly against doing 4 years, my PT is also against me doing 4 years and wants me to just get extra support in CP classes. However, I'm incredibly behind and incredibly miserable doing this. I'm failing a lot of my assignments already- he said this was because I'm doing fine in my Modern Physics module and my Maths modules so waiting a WHOLE year for just one module is a bit ridiculous. I get that, but the maths and the assignments in Classical Physics are straight up impossible for me, and it's stressing me out lots!

I'm really struggling mentally and it's all building up a lot. It's definitely not the uni experience I envisioned.

For my A-Levels I got 3 A*s in Physics, Maths and Biology.
If I did drop out, I'd probably get a job, take the Further Maths Exams in June so I can get a qualification and apply for 2022 entry. (Probably meaning I'd have to quickly do a mock exam for my old school, or a private tutor etc.). Then do one of the MIT OpenCourseWare, or CS50 online course and try undergo some programming projects.

Any advice would be great. I hope none of this comes off as lazy, narrow-minded or impulsive.

I feel incredibly indecisive and also incredibly impulsive and am terrified of making the wrong decision.

Thanks again
Same I am indecisive and terrified of making wrong choices but that could be self-doubt too.

Perfect acceptable to want to change courses if you are not passionate about it.

I'm not sure if in Scotland you have any computing degree apprenticeships or apprenticeships too that you could look into applying?

Definitely drop out because there's no point wasting a year doing yr1 degree which you don't want to do. You also have a plan which is good if you did drop out & what to do for a year.

Have you considered career wise what you would like to do following on from graduate that may give you an indication whether compusci or physics is good for you to pick.

If your indecisive them how about listing the pros and cons for both degrees and seeing what outweighs.
bette4545
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Same I am indecisive and terrified of making wrong choices but that could be self-doubt too.

Perfect acceptable to want to change courses if you are not passionate about it.

I'm not sure if in Scotland you have any computing degree apprenticeships or apprenticeships too that you could look into applying?

Definitely drop out because there's no point wasting a year doing yr1 degree which you don't want to do. You also have a plan which is good if you did drop out & what to do for a year.

Have you considered career wise what you would like to do following on from graduate that may give you an indication whether compusci or physics is good for you to pick.

If your indecisive them how about listing the pros and cons for both degrees and seeing what outweighs.
I wanted to go into Computing anyways! Something like technology possibly relating to Physics - or a company like Space X (which is extremely fantastical but hopefully you get the gist )
Hanlooc
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I get this, this is kind of what im going through right now, tried changing courses in the first week because im beginning to hate the course, and all I got told was no, that I can't transfer to ANY other degree because EVERYTHINGS full.

If this helps, this is what my personal tutor advised me today:
She said to decide whether it's the course or just the feeling of being overwhelmed at uni.
To try being asked to be put on a waiting list for the course you want to change to
To possibly start again next year but continue this year if you still want the experience

No one wants to hear withdraw, especially if that's not an option for you
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (193)
55.46%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (49)
14.08%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (39)
11.21%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (32)
9.2%
I haven't started researching yet (20)
5.75%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (15)
4.31%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed