The Student Room Group

Rant/advice needed about friends

(Before anyone moans this isn't meant to attract pity this is just a question/rant)

Basically, I haven't got any physical friends of my age. All my friends and pretty much everyone I know of my age has gone to uni. I've also had generally *****y friends who don't tend to contact me online. I haven't heard from most of them since I finished my A levels in May.

I have got internet friends, and friends from my youth council who are different ages to me. I'm planning to start an apprenticeship soon so I guess I'll make friends on my course and at work. I have looked briefly into classes locally but they tend to be dominated by people in their 40s and 50s. I'm also 18 so I can't go to youth clubs, plus most aren't totally accessible.

So I was wondering, is there anything I can do?
Reply 1
This is a period which is probably known by most of us.
People tend to have more connections with people who they share the same or similar things. Though this doesn't mean if you're friend with someone you should forget him/her as soon as you change your path or carrier. If there is anyone like this, just let them go.

On the other side, try to find activities that you can share same or similar aims. For example, if you would be playing basketball in a team, you and your team mates would have one common aim. Its this common aim that is bringing people together. If you think from this perspective, then you should join to a course where you can have a common aim with other people. For example a dance course maybe? Im sure you will meet new people when you start your apprenticeship. This will also help. But don't feel bad because of this. As I've said at the beginning, this is happening or will happen to all of us at some point in our life. This is nothing to do with you. 🤟🏻
Reply 2
Original post by wavybit
This is a period which is probably known by most of us.
People tend to have more connections with people who they share the same or similar things. Though this doesn't mean if you're friend with someone you should forget him/her as soon as you change your path or carrier. If there is anyone like this, just let them go.

On the other side, try to find activities that you can share same or similar aims. For example, if you would be playing basketball in a team, you and your team mates would have one common aim. Its this common aim that is bringing people together. If you think from this perspective, then you should join to a course where you can have a common aim with other people. For example a dance course maybe? Im sure you will meet new people when you start your apprenticeship. This will also help. But don't feel bad because of this. As I've said at the beginning, this is happening or will happen to all of us at some point in our life. This is nothing to do with you. 🤟🏻

thank you. It's good to know it happens to everyone
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending