DS76
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
I understand that finding a job is very competitive, so I get that.

I had two video job interviews in the same company and I ended up being in the top 3.

For the first video interview I felt very organised and prepared - despite the technical issues. I felt confident.

When it came to the second video interview, I was also prepared...however I lost a lot of confidence and was very nervous as there was a lot of technical issues. I had low self esteem, forgot my words etc...

Today I got the news that I didn't get the job, I think the manager could see from the 2nd interview that I was nervous and a bit shy.

They told me my work was amazing with good quality, I had a good portfolio... But there were people on the team with 'bigger personalities' than me, who would demand to get what they want.

Basically they didn't think my 'personality' was right. which I respect their decision.

But if I can make good quality of work, i'm organised, good at communicating ideas and have a strong understanding of the profession I want to get into...how comes I wasn't accepted??

If I had the chance I would be able to grow within that company.

I'm just really gutted, I've been in this position before, where I would be top 4 or top 7...but just never making it through.

I have tried so hard...I've put in so much energy pretending to be confident and being someone I'm not, just so I can get a job and for once be accepted.

BTW I did get work experience, like internships.

Are employers expecting too much from people? Any advice
Last edited by DS76; 2 weeks ago
Ash1234
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by DS76)
I understand that finding a job is very competitive, so I get that.

I had two video job interviews in the same company and I ended up being in the top 3.

For the first video interview I felt very organised and prepared - despite the technical issues. I felt confident.

When it came to the second video interview, I was also prepared...however I lost a lot of confidence and was very nervous as there was a lot of technical issues. I had low self esteem, forgot my words etc...

Today I got the news that I didn't get the job, I think the manager could see from the 2nd interview that I was nervous and a bit shy.

They told me my work was amazing with good quality, I had a good portfolio... But there were people on the team with 'bigger personalities' than me, who would demand to get what they want.

Basically they didn't think my 'personality' was right. which I respect their decision.

But if I can make good quality of work, i'm organised, good at communicating ideas and have a strong understanding of the profession I want to get into...how comes I wasn't accepted??

If I had the chance I would be able to grow within that company.

I'm just really gutted, I've been in this position before, where I would be top 4 or top 7...but just never making it through.

I have tried so hard...I've put in so much energy pretending to be confident and being someone I'm not, just so I can get a job and for once be accepted.

BTW I did get work experience, like internships.

Are employers expecting too much from people? Any advice
Are employers expecting too much from people? Any advice - as someone who has applied for many many jobs over the years. I can say YES that employees are expecting too much from people these days. Endless recruitment or application processes, interviews then for the role itself they want someone with full qualification and experience yet they advertise it as a "trainee" role. It's so competitive. Some companies want candidates who are "perfect" and they don't have to put too much work into - this is the truth which sucks for people who want to get into the area of work that interests them.

From my experience, I wouldn't take any interview or outcome personally. If they've given you feedback them learn from it and move onto the next interview. If they haven't given you feedback or you disagree with it then I'd send them a follow up email. Write down what the interview qs were and there's also no harm in re applying to the same company.

You have nothing to lose so keep trying even if it means working for a company which doesn't have progression at least that way your building your experience. Then you can apply to them companies where there is progression. Don't wait around for the opportunity to come I'd say start building any experience.

All the best.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has your education been disrupted this academic year due to the pandemic?

Yes (162)
83.51%
No (32)
16.49%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise