?
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
does it matter about soft subjects and hard subjects
username5522220
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
This is a very ambiguous question. It entirely depends on what you want to do after A-Levels- a film studies degree will probably not require you having taken the sciences or maths, whilst an English degree will obviously require English Lit and perhaps other essay subjects. 'Soft' subjects can still be useful if you are wanting to study things relating to them, for example taking media A-Level could be very useful if you want to study a media related degree, but might not be as valued by other unrelated subjects.

I guess you don't yet know what you want to do yet, and I totally get that because I'm in the same boat. So, what I did was take two essay subjects, and one science subject: English lit, maths and philosophy. I'm glad I went with the options I did as I'm currently stuck between taking English, Computer Science, and Politics as a degree and my combination facilitates all of these.

So yeah. Worry less about 'soft' and 'hard' and more about if your subjects relate to the degree you want to study/whatever you want to do after A-Levels. If you're not sure, go for at least two facilitating subjects (there is a list of these online).

Hope you figure things out
johnnnh
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
it depends. I'm assuming you want to pick a soft subject but feel your choice is inadequate. if you're trying to get into a top uni it does.

because universities are academic institutions and therefore they want academic candidates with interests and abilities in academic subjects.and the traditional subjects prepare you far better than any other simply because they are basically entirely academic. you don't learn about library management when your doing a level history. or what chemicals and flasks to use when your trying to make dishwasher or methamphetamine in chemistry.you can have a PhD in economics and not know how risk management firms or sectors operate on a basic level .

do you want to go to a top university?
why?
what do you want to get out of it?
what do you want to do after?
why wouldn't you want to go?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (61)
56.48%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (12)
11.11%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (16)
14.81%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (7)
6.48%
I haven't started researching yet (7)
6.48%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (5)
4.63%

Watched Threads