Matcccc
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 days ago
Hi guys, does anyone know how things like visas work for UK international students that are wanting to go to uni in the US. Like do they let you go there to study if you get accepted or do you still need to apply for a visa, years in advance?

Also how would the money work. E.g. would I be able to use my UK bank card in the US?
Anonymous #1
Report 1 day ago
You will need a US student visa (the F1 visa), just like any other international student would apply to the US. You could use your UK bank card in the US, HOWEVER, I WOULDN'T RECOMMEND DOING SO... primarily because you would lose quite a bit in exchange rate fees. You could just open a bank account in the US.

A tourist 10-year visa is not valid for studying in the US. As said you will need a student visa. A student visa can only be applied for after you have been accepted into a US uni and have accepted your offer. You would need to email the uni with an official copy saying that you have been admitted, then you could submit that to the US embassy in the UK and receive your student visa.
pet973
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 day ago
(Original post by Matcccc)
Hi guys, does anyone know how things like visas work for UK international students that are wanting to go to uni in the US. Like do they let you go there to study if you get accepted or do you still need to apply for a visa, years in advance?

Also how would the money work. E.g. would I be able to use my UK bank card in the US?
It’s normally very simple, US Colleges are used to dealing with international students needing Visas and they all have dedicated offices to help you with every step of the process in getting an F-1 Visa.
A US Bank account is a good idea- you’ll be there for 4 years or so. Also very easy to open one once you’re at Uni.
Matcccc
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 day ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
You will need a US student visa (the F1 visa), just like any other international student would apply to the US. You could use your UK bank card in the US, HOWEVER, I WOULDN'T RECOMMEND DOING SO... primarily because you would lose quite a bit in exchange rate fees. You could just open a bank account in the US.

A tourist 10-year visa is not valid for studying in the US. As said you will need a student visa. A student visa can only be applied for after you have been accepted into a US uni and have accepted your offer. You would need to email the uni with an official copy saying that you have been admitted, then you could submit that to the US embassy in the UK and receive your student visa.
Thank you, how long does it take to get the visa after I submit? And when is the earliest I can go there and when do I have to leave (eg. Would I have to leave right after I finish my course or am I allowed to stay if I’m carrying on with my study?)
Matcccc
Rep:
?
(Original post by pet973)
It’s normally very simple, US Colleges are used to dealing with international students needing Visas and they all have dedicated offices to help you with every step of the process in getting an F-1 Visa.
A US Bank account is a good idea- you’ll be there for 4 years or so. Also very easy to open one once you’re at Uni.
Thank you
Anonymous #1
Report 1 day ago
(Original post by Matcccc)
Thank you, how long does it take to get the visa after I submit? And when is the earliest I can go there and when do I have to leave (eg. Would I have to leave right after I finish my course or am I allowed to stay if I’m carrying on with my study?)
The visa really depends, but for students, I don't think it should take long.
The earliest you can go is as soon as you get your visa.
I am assuming you are talking about if you can stay after you have finished your degree - The US is quite cutthroat, if you don't get a visa sponsorship for a job within 6 months you will have to leave. Plus it is harder to get sponsorship in general if you don't come out of a top uni in the US, or are not in a STEM subject. In comparison before the current British government changed its rule international students could only stay for 3 months - now 2 years. The UK, Canada, Aus all have 2-year extensions, unlike the US.
It would help if you do a Stem subject or go to one of the best US unis.
ry7xsfa
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 day ago
I am assuming you are talking about if you can stay after you have finished your degree - The US is quite cutthroat, if you don't get a visa sponsorship for a job within 6 months you will have to leave. Plus it is harder to get sponsorship in general if you don't come out of a top uni in the US, or are not in a STEM subject. In comparison before the current British government changed its rule international students could only stay for 3 months - now 2 years. The UK, Canada, Aus all have 2-year extensions, unlike the US.
Just a correction on this:

You can’t go as soon as you get your visa. You can enter the US a maximum of 30 days before the start date on your I20
Joleee
Badges: 19
Report 1 day ago
(Original post by ry7xsfa)
Just a correction on this:

You can’t go as soon as you get your visa. You can enter the US a maximum of 30 days before the start date on your I20
do you need proof of funds for a visa to study in the US?
ry7xsfa
Rep:
?
Report 1 day ago
(Original post by Joleee)
do you need proof of funds for a visa to study in the US?
So how you’re paying is detailed on your I-20 (cost of attendance vs financial aid and family cost). Since I have my full cost covered by financial aid, I didn’t need to show any bank statements or anything, but I’ve heard of people being asked in the past.

If you’re interested, I can list all the docs I took to my interview, and a detailed account of how it went.
Joleee
Badges: 19
Report 1 day ago
(Original post by ry7xsfa)
So how you’re paying is detailed on your I-20 (cost of attendance vs financial aid and family cost). Since I have my full cost covered by financial aid, I didn’t need to show any bank statements or anything, but I’ve heard of people being asked in the past.

If you’re interested, I can list all the docs I took to my interview, and a detailed account of how it went.
ah that's okay! no, i was just wondering if you needed to have some sort of financial evidence that you can sustain yourself throughout your studies. from reading the above it sounds like you just get accepted by a university then apply for a visa and you're set to go.

(fyi i'm a Canadian studying in the UK and you at least need to have bank statements in your back pocket in your interview)
ry7xsfa
Rep:
?
Report 1 day ago
ah that's okay! no, i was just wondering if you needed to have some sort of financial evidence that you can sustain yourself throughout your studies. from reading the above it sounds like you just get accepted by a university then apply for a visa and you're set to go.

(fyi i'm a Canadian studying in the UK and you at least need to have bank statements in your back pocket in your interview)
I brought bank statements with me but didn't need them because of my financial aid. The form I-20 detailed that my full cost of attendance was covered by financial aid. I also brought my financial aid letter with me in case they wanted it, but seemingly seeing the I-20 was enough.

Other than that, I brought my passport (obviously), proof that I paid the SEVIS fee (as required for the visa), an admissions letter (which they asked me for), and a letter from my university's international office explaining that I was admitted and they have worked with me to issue the I-20.

The only real questions I was asked were "Have you ever been to the US before" and upon answering yes, the two questions of "When and why?" and "What about California".

I had my passport with the visa in back after just over a week.
Matcccc
Rep:
?
Thank you
kamara41
Rep:
?
Report 14 hours ago

Just to add, my scholarship didn't cover the full cost of attendance so I had to bring signed documents with my parents' income listed. You just have to prove that you have enough liquid assets to be able to afford the first year cost of attendance - I used both my scholarship letter and my parent's income form. The scholarship I wasn't asked any further questions on but I was asked what both my parents did for a living (I guess just to check that the profession could line up with the income).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling now you've started university?

I'm loving it! (46)
13.37%
I'm enjoying it but I'm still settling in (93)
27.03%
I'm a bit unsure (60)
17.44%
I'm finding things difficult (115)
33.43%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (30)
8.72%

Watched Threads